Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to order Mite Away II from Better Bee's online catalog and found this message. "Please note: The manufacturer of MiteAway II has discontinued production of this product, stay tuned for more information on this and other formic acid based products." I haven't seen or heard of this anywhere else. Anyone out there have any more information regarding this? Thanks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Contacted Mite Away and asked if Mite Away II would be available in strip form in Massachusetts for this Sept. and received the following response:"No, unfortunately. I am doing several state registrations, but Mass. is not one of them. The full federal Section 3 registration won’t be approved until sometime next year. Unless Mass. applies for what is called a Special Local Needs registration, it will not be possible for Mass. Beekeepers to use the product until next year."

·
Registered
255 Posts
Contacted Mite Away and asked if Mite Away II would be available in strip form in Massachusetts for this Sept. and received the following response:"No, unfortunately. I am doing several state registrations, but Mass. is not one of them. The full federal Section 3 registration won’t be approved until sometime next year. Unless Mass. applies for what is called a Special Local Needs registration, it will not be possible for Mass. Beekeepers to use the product until next year."
just find someone in a state that can buy it and have them buy it and ship it to you

·
Registered
913 Posts
As long as you don't want to sell anything that comes from the hives, right? I'd imagine if you want to sell it, you have to stick to what's approved by everyone, state, local federal, all that (I don't really know though).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The question was...

I was wondering if anyone has heard if NOD is going to stop or has already stopped making Mite Away II? Apparently Betterbee thinks so.

ps: I know Quick Strips are coming.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
just find someone in a state that can buy it and have them buy it and ship it to you
I imagine that things may have changed, but the lasat I heard, only Hawaii had approval for use. Anyone know someone in Hawaii? And what about shipping something from one state to another when use of that material or formulation isn't approved by that state? What kind of trouble will that put one in?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
The question was...

I was wondering if anyone has heard if NOD is going to stop or has already stopped making Mite Away II? Apparently Betterbee thinks so.

ps: I know Quick Strips are coming.
It is my understanding that they are both made on the same line. And now that the new product is in production the old product no longer is. Or, at least for now. I believe that it is in use and being sold in Canada. But I don't know how you would ship it across the border w/out paper work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay... here's the deal. No jacking my post. Just want to know if anyone has heard if Mite Away II pads are no longer being manufactured.

Quick strips seem cool when I can get them in NY but this post is about the pads baby.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Okay... here's the deal. No jacking my post. Just want to know if anyone has heard if Mite Away II pads are no longer being manufactured.

Quick strips seem cool when I can get them in NY but this post is about the pads baby.
Well, don't hold your breath. Until Nic Calderone can get the DEC to recognize the need for the Quick Strip DEC won't approve of the Section 18 and you just won't have either product. So, maybe you'd better think of an alternative treatment medium or a way to make them yourself.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have to say I am disappointed that dealers are not telling beekeepers where they can get what they need!

It is true that the pads are not being manufactured because the manufacturer has geared their lines toward getting the 'new' strips approved. It seems a certainty they they will not be approved this year in the US, and probably not in Canada.

In the meantime there is 'right now' a good supply in the US from dealers who 'stocked up' on the pads. Brushy Mountain is one such dealer (and with their PA warehouse can deliver to the Northeast very economically) and another is Blue Sky. You can easily find both a Google search. I understand Dadant is out of stock. I don't know about others, but I am fairly certain you can find more dealers with 'fresh' stock.

It is really too bad that some dealers do not see the benefits of helping beekeepers keep their bees alive!

Lloyd

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ordered from Blue Sky a few weeks ago. Had them on sale while supplt lasts.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to say I am disappointed that dealers are not telling beekeepers where they can get what they need!

It is really too bad that some dealers do not see the benefits of helping beekeepers keep their bees alive!

Lloyd
Why are you holding the dealers responsible for this when it is the manufacturer is the one who chose to discontinue the production of the product? Also do you think Dadant when they don't have a product is going to send them to Mann Lake? Any remaining stock is clearly what the dealers have left. So Betterbee was bought out, big deal, it doesn't change the fact that there is a dwindling supply of Mite-Away II. You are making a poor analogy and equating a dealer not having a product, at the choice and imposition of the manufacturer, with not wanting to support beekeepers keeping there bees alive. That is just silly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding...

I was not holding dealers responsible for the shortage of Mite Away II. However, I WAS saying that when dealers do not have the product they should be telling beekeepers where they can get it; i.e., which dealers do have it. I know some dealers ARE doing so and I admire that. Other dealers have the attitude 'it's your problem and don't expect us to send you to a competitor'.

That is a short-sighted attitude as every dealer needs to help keep hobbyist bees alive. It is in their best interest to do so even if it means a short-term loss.

Lloyd

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think you are both on the wrong track. If our government would get their act together and approve the strips, none of this would be a problem.

We do not use hard chemicals in our hives and do our very best to comply with the law however, we continually find ourselves butting our heads against the wall in an attempt to do so.

Our state feels the need to inspect our hives in the fall of the year to tell us we have mites (which we already know we have) then do nothing to make it easier for us to treat our hives with products that not only work but are not harmful to our bees.

So I wouldn't be so quick to blame the suppliers for not having the products you need to treat your bees.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Our goverment is a absolute mess. Noone is held accountable, but I'll bet $$$ donated to right place could speed up the process! Too much red tape too much laziness and lack onf common sence in govt.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
In NY? Approved for use by the DEC?
from what I had read on there web site during this past winter, the section 18 in hawaii was only temp. it is not approved in any state or canada, the government said that although formic was approved, that what they actually have to approve is the method of application. and section 3 approval takes a really long time as you will notice the document I posted was dated in March 2010.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
And according to Nic Calderone, DEC sees no reason to approve of it since they already approved of the other stuff and beekeepers have so many other materials that theycan use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts