Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you think I would have this one right after making a moving mistake last year :( . I decided to move two of four hives today. The weather was cool, 50 degrees and my lazy southern bees weren't flying yet. I chose the two lightest hives and moved them to a preferred sunnier location about 125 yards away. I put a branch in front of each hive for reorientation.
I returned to check later in the afternoon and bees were returning to the old location. I did not leave an empty at the old location because I felt the stragglers if any would go to the other two hives.
Well my bees weren't as lazy as I thought(and more foragers were out-I don't think so) or they did not reorient properly. I had quite a few bees at the old location. They were trying to enter the other hives and of course the residents there thought they were robbers or invaders since there is very little of a flow going now. I had a few hundred dead bees in front of the hives and bees clustered on the outside.
I put an empty nuc in the spot where the two hives were moved from, but they did not seem to be taking to it to well.
Hope they get things sorted out :( . and of course the two losing the foragers were my weakest to top it off

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
125 yards is both too close and too far. I've repeated that same mistake more times than I like to admit, and when I have done it this time of year I always lost the hive over winter. Moving bees is a lot like the new medicare prescription program. Once you get in to donut hole you are in trouble.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
(Moving bees is a lot like the new medicare prescription program. Once you get in to donut hole you are in trouble.)

"Amen" sierra
scbee- now the next time you will know what to expect-accentuate the positive. If the bees had been moved in colder weather so that the bees did not fly for three days it would not have happened. Or if the entry had been screened closed for three days it would not have happened.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
It may be a good thing. The bees lost were the older bees and with the flow over, they are not bringing anything in, just eating what is there. They would probably die before spring anyway. You may have just reduced the demand for winter supplies for the ones that will still be there in the spring.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks iddee!!! Maybe somewhat of a silver lining after all ;) .
And thanks for the other info didn't realize screening the entrance was an option :confused: .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts