Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first overwintering and I need to know when to start feeding to initiate brood buildup. I expect april 1 is the target date to have foragers available. I have both nuc's and full size hives. And do I feed patties and thin syrup (2 parts water, 1 part sugar) to trigger the queen to lay?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
This is my first overwintering and I need to know when to start feeding to initiate brood buildup. I expect april 1 is the target date to have foragers available. I have both nuc's and full size hives. And do I feed patties and thin syrup (2 parts water, 1 part sugar) to trigger the queen to lay?
Your queen(s) are already laying now. Or they should be most likely. The question is when they'll ramp up. Trying to figure out the answer to that for my neck-of-the-woods as well. I'm thinking mid-March is when I'll start patties. That's about 2-3 weeks before pollen really starts rolling in around here. The early stuff I think is from various willows and I'm sure a lot of other stuff I don't know about yet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This year in central Missouri looks to be a tough one. Brood rearing for some of my hives is off to an early start and they have some serious cold coming. With some of those hives their stores are not to be bragged about so a spate of losses likely. Getting passed that and build up could lead to earlier than typical concerns about swarming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in central Missouri and I don't have any brood in my hives. Should I be concerned. Plenty of bees honey and pollen. Last I checked was February 7th when it was warm.

·
Registered
623 Posts
We open feed on any day above 50 (bees are flying). And tomorrow will be quickly topping off the dry sugar in the hives. We should be fine here in se kansas. Just remember ... Do NOT crack those propolis seals they put on for winter.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am actually in northeastern Oklahoma - my queens are laying. They are also bringing in maple pollen. I too, am concerned about the coming cold spell - but the bees seem to be gearing up to go here.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I live in central Missouri and I don't have any brood in my hives. Should I be concerned. Plenty of bees honey and pollen. Last I checked was February 7th when it was warm.

Most of my colonies have not ramped up to rear brood yet. Those I feel better about. I avoid getting into the brood area to inspect. Colonies invested in brood rearing from outside fly a lot more during the day while those not come out in a big burst for one an hour or so before retiring.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Given them dry pollen in empty hives, they were working it pretty good when it was warm.

I've been checking the entrances and have not see any brood carried out.

April 15 thru May when the swarms start.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Most of my colonies have not ramped up to rear brood yet. Those I feel better about. I avoid getting into the brood area to inspect. Colonies invested in brood rearing from outside fly a lot more during the day while those not come out in a big burst for one an hour or so before retiring.
Thank you for this little nugget of info !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts