Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a top bar hive, 1st year beekeeper. We started the hive on April 8th and have never seen the queen. We still have a decent population of bees. They are drawing out foundation, but where you would normally have the brood nest all we can see is dome-shaped drone cells. We can see eggs in the bottom.

With the frames being as delicate as they are how can we re-queen the hive? This is the only hive that we have. Any responses would be helpful.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Right, if there are eggs there is a queen. She may be small, and hard to see in all those moving bodies, but if there are eggs on the bottom of the cells there is a queen somewhere

·
Registered
431 Posts
Couldn't it be a laying worker or two if its all drones though?

·
Registered
383 Posts
in my new tbh i cant find the queen. but there is eggs on the bottom of cells and some capped brood so i know she is there and that is good enough for me. as far as the drone deal one of the first chunks of brood my queen laid is drone brood. about the size of a softball on both sides of the comb. maby she thought the colonie needed drones or she just had to get warmed up alittle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts