Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall due to lack of ambition, I failed to weigh my colonies after feeding, guessing they needed more weight for the winter.and kept feeding til they were ten to twenty pounds overweight. Then came an open easy winter and remembering lessons from different situations where bees did not build as well without liquid, I fed 1:1 syrup and after todays first in depth inspection, I found I about plugged out my colonies and the queens laying has probably been impinged. Tomorrow I head out with empty drawn brood frames to replace honey frames. The real monster hives had used more feed and supplied me with brood frames to beef up some of the three and four frame colonies. One of those monsters had drones just emerging and had a single fresh queen cup made. Normal swarm time here is last week of April-first week of May so I guess they are on schedule. I did slow them down by taking a couple frames of capped brood and a couple partials. It was 59 degrees while I was working and the wind was light for a change. I fought the urge to be lazy and not put the wraps back on. According to a new long range weather site I was just told of, we are supposed to be colder than normal for the next month. Consider looking at usairnet.com it is a weather service for the aviation industry and has much useful information not found on your basic weather channel.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Last fall due to lack of ambition, I failed to weigh my colonies after feeding, guessing they needed more weight for the winter.and kept feeding til they were ten to twenty pounds overweight. Then came an open easy winter and remembering lessons from different situations where bees did not build as well without liquid, I fed 1:1 syrup and after todays first in depth inspection, I found I about plugged out my colonies and the queens laying has probably been impinged. Tomorrow I head out with empty drawn brood frames to replace honey frames. The real monster hives had used more feed and supplied me with brood frames to beef up some of the three and four frame colonies. One of those monsters had drones just emerging and had a single fresh queen cup made. Normal swarm time here is last week of April-first week of May so I guess they are on schedule. I did slow them down by taking a couple frames of capped brood and a couple partials. It was 59 degrees while I was working and the wind was light for a change. I fought the urge to be lazy and not put the wraps back on. According to a new long range weather site I was just told of, we are supposed to be colder than normal for the next month. Consider looking at usairnet.com it is a weather service for the aviation industry and has much useful information not found on your basic weather channel.
So what do you do about the sugar syrup frames? I have something similiar where I used better comb for emergency feeders. But for now , I just have a spare hive I'm storing them in and closed up all the openings. The way I used better comb was I put dry sugar in them and wet it down. I dont want the bees to start moving sugar around mixing it with any of the good stuff. So now I'm storing it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts