Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, misery loves company! I am looking for some. Today I was all excited about a tree service that called, had a bee tree that came down in a storm, talked about how many bees were everywhere, their guys were stung and leaving it alone, bees in the section on the ground, in the section still standing, huge hive, please come get them, we will pay you....woo hoo! Well...I drop everything, drive an hour and a half, show up and this is what I find:

http://www.buffalolick.com/swarm.php

Scroll to the bottom pic...a burned out bee tree. Seems the good ol' boys employed the oldest trick in the book...gas and a match, after 2 cans of hornet killer. Just dang. I know all of you have some good stories about just such an experience, so help me feel better and SHARE your misadventure!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Two years ago a fellow called me about a bee hive that was in an abandoned pump house. When he tried to bulldoze it over the bees were not very happy about it. He asked how long it would take me to get there because his bulldozer was still running. Not wanting him to spray them I said ten minutes.
When I arrived they were trying to sting me 100 feet away from the doomed hive. I suited up and fired up trying to smoke them into submission which did not work. The maddest honeybees I have ever dealt with. Got the bulldozer shut off. I started to move the debris and locate the hive, by this time they were starting to get me threw the suit. But I persevered on, finally locating the comb I fired up the bee vac and started to collect bees. As luck was with me I spotted the queen I snatched her in a queen catcher and put her in my breast pocket. That also helped me collect bees. By this time my back was becoming numb and I had enough. I placed a nuc with some drawn comb removed the comb from the hive and threw in the towel. I got a very nice complement form the bulldozer operator, he said man you really got some brass ones! I said thanks for not killing the bees.

At home I dumped the five gallons of bees into a double deep and let mom go. Calling it a day I retired to a hot bath to help relieve my throbbing body.
The next day just before first light I screened in the nuc and took them home. After it warmed up I shook them off in front of the hive and they marched in. by this time the bees were in a much better mood. In fact they turned out to be a very gentle and productive hive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts