Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I have recently obtained a few plywood nucs at a very good price {free} that a friend built me as a gift , he is not a bee keeper , but is a carpenter and are well built out of very solid boards. But I see a problem , the inside length measurement is a little short that only leaves a 2/8" bee space on either end of my frames , my question is this , is this just too small or will it work for 5 or 6 weeks as I will use these only to increase my hive count using swarm cells ? I am fairly new and have never had to worry about this before. Any suggestions or laughs please don't hesitate.

·
Super Moderator
11,158 Posts
Bees can easily move in/through a 2/8" (1/4") space. 1/4" hardware cloth is often used for mouse guards on a hive entrance and bees can pass.

Bee space: A space (1/4- to 5/16-inch) big enough to permit free passage for a bee but too small to encourage comb building. Leaving bee space between parallel beeswax combs and between the outer comb and the hive walls is the basic principle of hive construction.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?237911-Beekeeping-Glossary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts