Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching my 4 hives today as temps went above 50. 2 had a lot of entrance activity, 2 don't (some but very little).

I popped the lid of one and there is poop on top of inner cover, and in dry sugar I was feeding...I took the sugar off and the tops of the frames had some dead bees and some live bees that seemed to be moving sluggishly. Some poop on top of frames and I saw some that had dripped down onto comb. There was plenty of honey - some capped and some not. I popped the top box loose and looked under it and again saw clumps of dead bees...as well as some living...

There are four mediums altogether and I didn't look into the bottom two, but I think the hive is on its way out...

Any suggestions on what to do? I don't know if there is any chance of saving them...just would like to know what may have caused this condition (definitely not starving) and the nexts steps I should take.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
If they have honey with the warming temps they should not starve, as soon as temperatures permit, which should be any time now. feed them syrup with Fumagilin in it. once those apple blossoms appear you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Are you sure the hives with little or no activty are actually still a colony. Those bees in the hives may just be robbers.

Dripping honey is normal with freeze and thaw. I would look at the combs very well, especially any with brood, see if there is still a decent cluster. The queen may not be stellar, they didn't build up right in Fall. I have 1 hive thats weak and have no idea why, I think they swarmed late in the season. Not really sure, because they were booming in spring and summer. And don't many mites either, or any signs of disease. They have plenty of stores too.

You can extract the honey or put it on another hive. If the other hives are still heavy I'de extract.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts