Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few frames for mini-mating nucs to assemble. I have all the parts, top, bottom and side bars. Here are a few questions I have:

I'll be gluing, are nails really necessary?
Pros and cons of plastic foundation vs foundationless?
Topbars only? (with or without foundation)

I'd like hear from those who have experience with mini-mating nucs.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
650 Posts
What kind of mini nucs? If they're wood nuc's with just a top bar frame they will attach the comb to the wall and you'll have a little trouble removing the frame. If they're the styrofoam mini's, the top bar is fine, they don't seem to attach that as much. And I'd do glue also, you won't need much!

Good luck,

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a few frames for mini-mating nucs to assemble. I have all the parts, top, bottom and side bars. Here are a few questions I have:

I'll be gluing, are nails really necessary?
Pros and cons of plastic foundation vs foundationless?
Topbars only? (with or without foundation)

I'd like hear from those who have experience with mini-mating nucs.

Thanks,

Tom
I don't glue mini nuc frames, but I use 1 1/2" staples that hold well enough for something that will never be extracted, and always handled with caution. If your going to glue, I would nail or staple also, just so I don't need to clamp each one for an hour. (I built 400 frames, glue and clamp might be fine for 10 or 20, it will be plenty strong enough.)
Luke

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use 1 1/4 staples through tops and sides. I also made all my frames out of scrap wood/ kindling. I go cheap beacuse the mini nucs get alot of abuse. If the frames are spaced nice without foundation as long as you watch them they draw them out ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts