Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a miner bee photo. I tried to Google it but got nothing but Honey bees.

I am not even sure they are not honey bees but I need to check first. There was hundreds of them fly a few inches off the ground all over the place around a trailer that I am working at right now. Any ideas? I have never seen honey bees swarm over the ground like that. I had never heard of Miner bees until I got on here today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright it is not Miner bees, It looks like small darker color honey bees. There was hundreds flying all around, about 3 inches off the ground.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Were they trying to suck water from a muddy area perhaps, like butterflies sometimes do? was it dry and they had found a source of wet ground?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It's possible there was a patch of ground that had lots of minerals or mineral salts to offer, and the bees were enjoying that. Just a thought. If they were a type of mason bee they might be trying to collect mud/clay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah they could have been checking the ground for minerals I think there is a Hive around the trailer somewhere. I guess if I put a trap out there maybe I will catch a swarm.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well if you can find a dead one and take a good closeup photo of it maybe we could tell you what kind of bee they are, or at least whether they are honeybees or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts