Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what you can mix with sugar syrup to stop the mold and mildew in the feeders, besides exspensive supplements?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes on both, and doesn't matter what the ratio is. I know one of the supplements advertises that it stops the problem but as usual its expensive...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,113 Posts
Adding a tsp of apple cider vinegar or bleach per gallon will do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Nope, Hambone and Beeslave are right on the money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
the best solution is no more feed than they will take in a few days. not always practical to visit your hives twice a week, but feeders dont HAVE to be full. good luck,mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
You can dissolve vitamin C (ascorbic acid) tablets in your syrup which lowers the pH. That will slow the growth of mold and retard fermentation. But I agree with mike haney. Make only enough to use in a day or so and give your bees only as much as they can consume in a day or two.....and it isn't a problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,105 Posts
Hambone is right.......... but......... I prefer to use
Thymol. It's cheap, effective, and there is ongoing
work on it's effectiveness with nosema. You get
more bang than just stopping mold.

Do a search on "thymol syrup" and you'll get the
recipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
Here in FL, bees drink water in swimming pools all the time. I've received complaints about it. I vote for the bleach fix.
One good reason not to use chlorine bleach in your bee syrup. Bees are drawn to swimming pools is because they've associated the smell of chlorine with water. Once they've made that association they will pass any number of good water sources and go to pools...just because they're easy to find by smell. If you add chlorine bleach to your syrup....guess what? They're gonna associate the smell of chlorine with food....and if you think water foragers at your neighbors' pool are a problem just wait until all the foragers go for it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,105 Posts
I don't know if you consider Honey Bee Healthy an expensive supplement but it sure keeps the black mold away.
I have made, and use the home made version of
this. Cheap and the bees love it. A search on here
will get you the recipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
Mike, are you thinking the bleach is not good for bees? I have a location 100 miles away...
a teaspoon to a gallon wont hurt'em. im thinking 100 miles away is not close enough to take good care of them. good luck,mike
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top