Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard on the news last night that they expect the US to have a mild winter this year. Is this good or bad for the bees? I am assuming since bees dont hibernate then they will use less energy and store to keep the hive warm. Is this right? Or will a milder winter cause more active bees and more starvation?

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Prepare them for the worst and hope for the best.

This prediction was from the same people who said something like 17 named huuricanes, 5-7 major, etc.

I'll check the woolie(sp) bears tonight and make my predictions in the morning. Its about as good as anyone else can do.

The 40's during the day is optimal. Not to warm to fly and not too cold to not allow them to move a bit. Extremes below for long periods, or extremes above are not good for overwintering. If your hive is packed with hinoy, they will not eat themselves into starvation. Many times you will have lots of leftover honey. Even in warm winters.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine a winter milder than the last one here in the northeast. For the first time I can remember, we didn't need to have our driveway plowed once. Milder winters however seem to be the trend these days though. It's been many years since a good old fashioned winter like we used to see 30 years ago.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
there is an upside and downside to which ever way the winter plays itself out...

I had kind of hoped for a slightly colder winter in that I would like to see if this could reduce some pest problems (moth and shb).

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm hoping for a warm winter with a lot of snow.Maybe make some cash plowing.

My fuel oil budget plan is gonna run me $4800. :eek:

I saw a wooly last weekend that was all brown?

Sound's like a 50/50 chance....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Our woolies have been Jet black for weeks now. Also getting downright cold at night for Missouri already. I seriously doubt their prediction of a mild winter.

Remember, these guys are in one of few careers where you can be totally wrong most of the time, and make top dollar... another being IT Executive Mgmt, but that's another story ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Long term forecasts are always hit and miss, if you want an interesting discussion of Woolly bears and their accuracy have a look at:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=226&tstamp=200511

It's a year old, for the 2005-2006 winter, but I found it interesting last year.

This year with El Niño kicking in should bring a more mild winter. Jeff Masters in his blog has talked about it in the last month or so. Who knows how long it stays though.

[ October 12, 2006, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
>>>In the beginning God created the Big Bang.<<<

Yes, and then he set evolution into motion to improve and update his masterpiece. :D

We finally have the answer. All were right!

And now, folks, back to tailgator.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
The past few days here do not bode well
for the mild winter concept. Ice on the
sloughs and lows in the low 20's F.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Better get on down here, Sundance, we're going flounder gigging Sat. night. Water temp. should be 73, air temp. 68. And that's night time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts