Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be making a bunch of migratory tops this year. I run both 8 frame and 10 frame boxes. Is there any reason to not use a 10 frame size cover on an 8 frame box? Yes, it will hang over the sides but that should not be a problem as far as I can see. None of the hives will be moved or put on pallets. If I can make only 1 size fits all, it will be a whole lot easier. Any reason not to?

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
For decades I ran 10 and twelve frame boxes and only in the last eight years made some 8's. I ran both western covers and telescoping covers. A long, wet windy winter that ended a four year drought left many nucs and hives sopping wet and even flooded inside. Luckily I came across a lot telescoping covers and inner coves and converted most hives to those. And made sure they were all slanted to the entrance. I think every effort to keep hives waterproof is a good idea. For the remaining migratory covers I found a great deal on used 18" X 24" cookie sheets.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
t'll work but put some weight on top so that a strong wind won't catch the overhang and flip the top off.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think every effort to keep hives waterproof is a good idea.
I have bunch of large corrugated plastic election signs from the election a couple of years ago. I will be using them on the top to keep the water out. I have a few wooden covers I use now and with the rainy weather we have every winter, a single year does a lot of damage to them, even when painted. The plastic signs do a nice job of giving a little more protection.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I agree with watching for the wind. I have had wind all most remove some of my lose fitting telescoping tops and my bees glue them pretty good most times.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
978 Posts
I agree with watching for the wind. I have had wind all most remove some of my lose fitting telescoping tops and my bees glue them pretty good most times.
Cheers
gww
As all have stated, the 10 frame size will work quiet well, and the bees don't mind at all. Just put a block on top, and it will be there till you remove it. Good luck, rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts