Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use 4 way pallets and migratory covers.

I have shimmed up the covers for ventilation and top entrance.

I am concerned about the wind and snow being able to get in through the cover as there is no overhang.

Should I make temporary side edges to make them more resistant to wind and snow??

Any others winter with migratory covers in the tundra?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
I had no problems with the wind and snow. I did reduce the entrances on the smaller ones with just a piece of wood over part of the gap in the front. This last year I also put a 16" by 20" piece of foam on top of the migratory cover to cut down on condensation on the lid.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
I say 16" by 20" but it depends on how you construct the cover. I make some of mine with 3/4" plywood and cleats that are flush with the top or are under the edge of the top. These work well with a 16" by 20". Some of mine are commercial ones made of one by with cleats on the ends and the foam is cut to fit between the cleats.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine are simular but made of OSB. I know it is poor choice for material, but I had several sheets I had picked up for a song.

Hopefully they will last a couple of years until I can affort better material.

This shoestring thing gets frustrating at times... But the bees do not know they are on a budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts