Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made migratory covers with 1/4" shims for ventilation and top entrance.

I have a few hives on pallets with clips and the covers are so close that they in fact touch.

Is there a danger in the fact that bees (including the queens) have free access from hive to hive??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ah Bruce, I'm in the middle of making mine and you bring up a new question. Why 1/4 in shims. I thought Bee space dictates 3/8. Can they get though 1/4 in?

Hawk

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question..........

They seem to be able to get out OK. I have not closed off the bottom yet though. I will take a closer look today (if the rain ever stops here!).

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Ah Bruce, I'm in the middle of making mine and you bring up a new question. Why 1/4 in shims. I thought Bee space dictates 3/8. Can they get though 1/4 in?

They can actually squeeze through 1/6 th of an inch, but they will have to wiggle a bit to get through.
I know because I had a bent wire on some #7 hardware cloth on the vent on the top of my observation hive.
The get through 1/5th of an inch quite handly (as anyone with a home made pollen trap can tell you) and 1/4" hardware cloth is what I used for mouse gaurds for years and still use for bird gaurds on my swarm traps to keep out the finches that like to nest in them.

Also you've already got 1/4" beespace at the top and adding another 3/8" would leave a space from the top bars of 5/8". 1/2" is bad enough (with the 1/4" entrance).

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the 1/4 size the queen will not beable to return after she has mated or she will not beable to get back out to mate again after the 15 days.Speaking from experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts