Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Commercials,

Took hard losses this year, somewhere around 40%. After going through the dead outs it looks more like signs of parasitic mites syndrom then anything else. Signs of bees just not fully hatched or dead in the cells. I was not dillagent with mite treatments at the end of the year. I was wondering what you liked for a mid season knock down??

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
There is no(legal) mid honey season treatment. The best thing I see that can be done is to pull the summer honey crop(august), treat and let the bees have the fall flow. Or pull the summer crop, throw on a formic acid patch and resuper a few days later. Pull the the supers in Sept, treat again and again in the spring. I'm sure others will have a better way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My question is has anyone been using the West Virginia treatment? It sounds good in theory but has anyone been using it in hot weather?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Pull a frame from the center of the broodnest (make sure you don't have the queen on it) and put a green Pierco drone frame in. Put all the frames you remove in a box under your weakest colonies to boost them.

Return in 2 weeks to remove green Pierco drone frame, and replace with a frame of brood comb.

Labor intensive, but is an approved mid-season mite knockdown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts