Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What power of a microscope do I need for inspection of bees? I'm also hoping to use it for checking the edges of my wood working chisels but that's another deal.

Sre the 1600X USB microscopes worth the money?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
For bee work, a 400x works fine, or so I was told. Have not forked over the money to see tracheal mites and such tiny things as of yet. Might as well get one that you can take pictures from too.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Interested in this.

I recently purchased a USB microscope from Aliexpress, but very disappointed with the quality of the image. However as I've searched the web for a better one, it's virtually impossible to tell from the advertisement, if they are any good. Cos they all claim to be good, and even the ad for the one I purchased shows a much better image, than the real article can do.

Anyone recommend a good one?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Check out Randy Olivers place, Scientific Beekeeping. Then look at some places called Microscope.com. You dont need a fancy up to date one for good results.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Great info much thanks. I'll trawl through that and I'm sure will find something good.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Interested in this.

I recently purchased a USB microscope from Aliexpress, but very disappointed with the quality of the image.
Image quality is more dependant on the camera than the microscope. low resolution camera will always produce a low resolution image. We bought one last year, the camera 5mp unit (2592x1944) where as the same microscope was available considerably cheaper with a vga (640x480) camera. Ours is a trinocular, so it has the binocular eyepieces for a human to look thru, and the third back stand for the camera to sit in.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Paul:

Ms. Dorothey Morgan of the Kentucky Queen Bee Breeders Association recommends the following digital microscope after testing dozens of models currently available online:

https://www.jiusion.com/art/dm3.html

I have this one and it works reasonably well for looking for mite damage, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
it depends on what he wants the scope for
Trakealey mites, nosema, ets isn't goint to work well with the $70 scope

diffrent model as I bought mine a few years back... had a crap stand so I printed a mount the goes on the pvc frame usb scope.jpg

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
A 400x light microscope worked well in Microbiology class. A much lower Bi-noc was used in Inverabrate Zoology.

Crazy Roland

1 - 13 of 13 Posts