Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you mean Vicks VapoRub? Does it not bother the bees? I guess it's applied very thinly, so no one gets their feet all gooped up? Hope you can get back to me quickly. I'm desperate. Have YJ traps all over the property and they're taking the bait like crazy, but this one poor hive is losing its battle.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Yes Vicks vaporub. I don't know if the Vicks works on the yellow jackets, but it helps on the bees robbing the bees. Since robbers seem to go by smell it messes up their ability to find the "source" of the honey. This was Daisy's idea and it seems to work on the same principle as the robber screens. The robber screens seem to throw the robber bees off because they smell the honey at one location but that's not the way in. The locals don't seem to use the same method for finding their own hive and they DO get in.

The robber screens seem to help with the yellow jackets, so maybe the vicks will too.

G

·
I'd hate to think what that would do to
the whole pheromone scheme of the hive
when the hive is exposed to the Vicks
for days and days.

Here's a great way to stop a robbing
frenzy in its tracks - pop the tops
off ALL the hives in the yard except
the ones being robbed.

All of 'em. Outer AND inner covers.

Watch the chaos subside. It may take
a half hour or so. Why does this work?
Bees "defend" what they have with a higher
priority than gathering. All hives
now have bigger issues to deal with, and
will cease their robbing.

Its an old, old trick. Never seen it fail.

[This message has been edited by jfischer (edited November 28, 2004).]

·
Registered
770 Posts
Jim -> I think your solution will make Tia's the yellow jacket problem worse.

Tia -> why don't you track down the yellow jacket's nests and kill them? A little gasoline poured down their nest entrance hole(s) at dusk will do the job. If they're nesting in a tree trunk, use a squeeze bottle to apply the gasoline. If they are under house siding, seal them in with some caulking.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
db, not only I have been trying to find the nest since August, but so have my entire family and lots of my friends. We've checked out the entire 5 acres. We've recently had 6 pines cut down and we thought for sure we'd find them then, but no dice. As a matter of fact, one of my friends is famous for being able to find them and is the unofficial yellow jacket exterminator--he had no luck with this one! Of course, we didn't check the neighboring properties--both of which are uninhabited, falling down houses where they most likely could be. I don't like the idea of tresspassing though. . .

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I thought that YellowJackets lived in the ground only.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan
Beekeeping sence 1964

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far as I know, they do only live in the ground--preferably near dead tree stumps from what I'm told. That's what we were searching for but to no avail. The reason I thought we'd find them when felling the pines was we figured all the ground vibrations of the chain saws, people stomping around, trees falling, would aggravate the YJs enough to reveal their hive.

·
Registered
770 Posts
On two bee removal calls last summer, the "bees" were yellow-jackets nesting in the wall. Another call had honey bees in the wall, but the customer asked me to remove a yellow-jacket nest from their chimney. Yet another call turned out to be hornets nesting in the wall of the laundry room. The customer became concerned about the "bees" when they chewed through the drywall and she could no longer use her laundry room.

Bottomline: YJ's can nest about anywhere honey bees can. Also, yellow-jackets make a "beeline" to the nest -> so can be tracked down and terminated.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish you could come down from Raleigh and beeline for me, db. I'm absolutely no good at it!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Around the entrance. Of course, not where the bees have to walk through it, but where it covers the smell of the entrance so the robbers can't find it.

I sometimes put a little somewhere else on the hive, thinking if the robbers DO find their way in and associate it with the smell of the vickes, the smell will mislead them from the entrance. But I don't know if that matters or not.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey Tia,
Williston is about a 4 hour drive from Raleigh. If you're still having YJ problems, I could make the trip on Dec 18th (in theory the YJs should have died off for the winter by then so it may not be necessary).

Do you know anyone down there that has land with Tupelo trees on it? I'm looking for a place to put some hives next spring where they can collect some Tupelo honey.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
db, thanks for the offer. Very generous of you. I was only kidding; I would never expect you to make that trip (actually I've made it in 2 1/2 hrs on a good day, though). I am having a Holiday Open House the next day, Sunday the 18th, though, and you're invited to come down and share some Christmas cheer if you'd like. If you want to see the latest on my YJ situation, see the topic "The Robber Screens are installed."

I no of no one with tupelo trees in these parts. I didn't even know we had tupelo around here. I wish there were. Holly seems to be the major source of honey where I live.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts