Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a place to buy them other than Better Bee? I'm tired of building for the winter and Better Bee is back ordered. Wish MannLake had them, shipping sucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may be better off making your own by devising a divider board. This would convert a ten frame deep into two five frame nucs.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You may be better off making your own by devising a divider board. This would convert a ten frame deep into two five frame nucs.
It would be a pretty tight five frames I would think. I think MP's divided nucs are 4 frames so they still fit on a regular bottom board.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If you made the central divider super thin, about the width of luan, and there was no built up propolis on the frames, you might be able to get five frames on either side. Good luck getting that luan to act as a rest for the top boxes though (let alone keeping it from warping).

Otherwise, plan on 4 frames on either side.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm pretty clear on how to make them, been doing it all winter, I'm just sick of building them and sick of the saw dust, thought I'd buy the last few if they were available anywhere. Michael, I will check Humble Abodes, thank you very much!

FYI, I built the bottom box all out of 3/4, added a 3/4 divider. For the supers I've been making three sides out of 3/4, the inner side of the super out of 3/8. Gives you a 3/4 divider all the way up when fully assembled.

·
Registered
786 Posts
got 20 double nuc boxes with 3/4" divider. Don't really like the nine frame spacing that MP uses. Would using 2 x4's as divider fit 4 frames on each side like regular 10 frame spacing?

Clay

·
Registered
590 Posts
Anyone know of a place to buy them other than Better Bee? I'm tired of building for the winter and Better Bee is back ordered. Wish MannLake had them, shipping sucks.
Just to let you know, I ordered one of these even-though their website said it was in Back Ordered status on Feb 17th.
It was delivered to me on the 20th.
If you want one I would say go ahead and order it.
I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
>Just to let you know, I ordered one of these even-though their website said it was in Back Ordered status

Mann Lakes website said said medium select supers were back ordered but the gal who took my phone order said nothing and it looks like they are shipping. Don't believe anything you read on the internet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Clay, I suspect the 3/4" divider allows for more heat transfer in the wintertime, also the 2x would add some extra weight
to the box. Besides sounds like he doesn't keep frames in them too long for burr comb to build up.

·
Beesource.com Sponsor
106 Posts
No. Our woodenware comes from local sources. One shop makes stuff exclusively for us and we are working closely to make sure we have things in stock. The double nucs come from another guy that is also local and we are working with him to be able to increase the staffing in the shop so that our demand can be filled.

I had not heard that about Jones, but I think that Betterbee stopped buying from them several years ago. It was prior to us taking over, so I am not sure of the timing.

Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just ordered some 4 frame nuc supers from Better Bee on Friday. They just got a shipment in themselves. Mine are already in transit. As for shipping, check the shipping cost for different quantities. For some reason the shipping cost went up quite a bit when I went from 8 to 9. So I just bought 8 instead which should be sufficient.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts