Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great discussions today by Michael on 4 steps to healthy bees and my personal favorite on lazy beekeeping. It was great to meet him personally. Our bee school this year had 200 registrants! Thank you to all the organizers for such a great program. I have a few pictures I will try to post later

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
What % of those 200 have their bees sourced already? Whats the chance they will all get what they'd like? Seems to be a lot on newbees jumping in when the supply might not BEE there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Didn't think of it that way Honey-4-All, my impression was maybe Michael's name brought a lot more people in. I don't typically go to the events around here but if Bush or Palmer were around I'd definitely make the trip.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i see your point honey-4-all. There were package suppliers there. One gentleman raises nucs in FL and trucks them up as a 1 man operation - we spoke for some time and he is a good guy. One has been supplying packages from gardeners/spell bee for as long as I know.

Another supplies from olivarez out in your part of the woods. The cali supplier was rather nonspecific in the delivery date mentioning several possibilities. I did ask them about the drought and the bee supply and they said it was not effecting the bees as they were being fed and there was rain now. Obviously you would know better what is going on there. They were taking orders for packages but I dont know how many they took. The few newbies I talked to I pointed to the GA or FL suppliers for that very reason

Also honey-4-all I think I may have purchased bees from you last year (packagebees4sale?). If so I wanted you to know they did well last year, and also they have been tolerating our harsh winter OK thus far.

With respect to the bee school, Michael was the first big speaker that we have had in our area. People came from as for as Canada and northern MI to hear him. Many beginners (about 60-75%), but we had an intermediate/experienced group as well.

He had nice hard cover versions of his book which I purchased a signed copy. He pointed out several times as he has here that this is all on his site so you dont need to buy his book but I like paper :)

The meeting was fantastic, better than our own MI state meeting and other states as michael and I were discussing. He was very helpful answering questions that people had - many on a basic level. I dont agree with him on everything but he make some great common sense points on beekeeping. Also as my apiary grows, I like his "lazy" style more and more. I want to thank him again for coming.

We are fortunate to have a very dedicated board/leadership group for our bee club. They did a great job including doubling the size of the venue. I am not part of the board but I like to help out where I can. And yes there was some discussion of trying to get Mr Palmer in the future.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
He had nice hard cover versions of his book which I purchased a signed copy. He pointed out several times as he has here that this is all on his site so you dont need to buy his book but I like paper :)
With out a doubt Michael brings in people to beekeeping because he is not about money he is about bees. I can tell you that some people that don't read books have his book. Don't miss the chance to meet him if he comes your way.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Also honey-4-all I think I may have purchased bees from you last year (packagebees4sale?). If so I wanted you to know they did well last year, and also they have been tolerating our harsh winter OK thus far.
Very good to hear!!!!!!! Wish we could do as well as our customers! Man do I wish it was so. Keep hearing stories like 9 out of 10 and 15 out of 16 surviving and doing well. Make's me want to hire them all full time and lay myself off.

What are they asking for those packages and nucs in your area?

If the price is right I would love to take a load of 600 three pounders through Iowa to Chicago and into Michigan. Current schedule says we could get them there around the 19th of April. Unfortunately I'm not signing up for $85 ( or less) delivered to Michigan. No way in the world at that price point. Enough work here in Cali at that time of the year to be gallivanting around for free.

If the die off is great enough and the demand is adequate we can do it for around $100-105 depending on how full the load is... We could distribute them out of the Holland, Hamilton area as I have quite a few relatives in that area. That is......... unless someone else has a better suggestion.

DOC: Send me a pm some time describing how those bees are fairing once the snow goes away and the trees start to shine..... As far as I'm concerned the survival discussion isn't over IMO till the Robins lay their eggs..... Look forward to hearing as this year is what I would describe as thee test among tests.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honey4all there are two main suppliers of packages. The Georgia one is through gardeners and he is doing about $90 for late April early may. The other is from Cali olivarez and they are also doing about $90 per package advertising for mid April. From talking with many attendees, there are a lot of dead outs so I think there will be good demand for packages

1 - 8 of 8 Posts