Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm officially a new guy, and this is something I would have never thought of before, but having only 3 hives moving to 5 this weekend... What is an effecient way of handling and making larger quantities of the sugar water. I am using hive top feeders capable of about 2 gallons each. I can see my tupperware pitcher plan is already obsolete.

I am sure that the larger operations must use some kind of pump and drum?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I buy those 3 gallon water containers at the big box stores. After using the water, I mix and store syrup in them. I used to use the 5 gallon jugs but now they're getting heavy for me so the 3 gallon size is pretty good. I toss them in the back of the truck and fill my gallon pails on site. The press on seal stays pretty tight. I typically make up 5 or so of them at a time and just pour what I need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a 30 gallon poly tank sprayer from tractor supply with a hand wand. I put that in the back of my truck. It is filled with sugar water. I drive up close to the hive and fill all my hive top feeders this way. Quick simple easy clean.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased a 30 gallon poly tank sprayer from tractor supply with a hand wand. I put that in the back of my truck. It is filled with sugar water. I drive up close to the hive and fill all my hive top feeders this way. Quick simple easy clean.
Are you mixing the sugar water in the tank as well?

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I use 5-gallon buckets, but I rarely make up more than 10-15 gallons or so of syrup at a time. After doing measurements and checking with a hydrometer last year (yup, geek), I just add hot water and sugar volumetrically to make each full bucket:

half fill with dry sugar, add water to 5 gallon line: 33% (1:2)

half full of water, add sugar to 5 gallons: 50% (1:1)

Full of sugar, add water to top: 66% (2:1)

Obviously, since these are volume measurements, they're scalable from a pint jar to a milk truck of syrup. Though If I were feeding a truck's worth, I'd just buy the durn syrup :).

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I use 5 gallon buckets donated from the local bakery.

I make 4 gallons at a time. I have one bucket that I poured sugar into to the correct height, marked that spot with a black magic marker, a nice bold line. Labeled the bucket Sugar. Did the same thing with a Water bucket.

Now I buy sugar by 25 pound bags, fill the sugar bucket to the line, then pour into the final bucket. Measure the hot water from a garden hose attached to a spigot near the hot water tank (tried using the tank, but got a lot of cold water because the hot rises...lolol) in the water bucket, pour into the final bucket that has sugar. Got a paint mixer from local paint store, attached to heavy duty electric drill, and mix away.

I mix 4 gal at a time that way, easier on the back... pour into the 5 gallon honey totes to seal up, and carry out to apiary to pour into the hive top feeders. Mixed up 24 gallons last night in about 15 minutes. Love that drill mixer!
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also use the drill motor for mixing 5 gal at a time, so much easier than shaking gallon jugs! I love the 12V 30 gal sprayer idea, I have one for rundup on elec fence for my 4 wheeler, looks like I need another for sugar water! Great Idea....:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts