Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed two packages on April 17th. Over the last six weeks I have watched one hive (The Metallica Hive) :eek: take off. They are full speed ahead. I have put on the second deep and the queen is laying like crazy.
The other hive (The Carpenters) :cry: is slowly plodding along. They have drawn out maybe 50% of the first deep. The queen is laying but I would say not nearly as much as Metallica. Also the activity in front of the hive is always only a fraction of what the other hive is.
Should I be worried or should I just give this hive time and hopefully it will come around? Just for the record I do not expect any honey this year. I just want two healthy colonies going into next winter. Also I have seen no evidence of disease, mites or SHB.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I'd be looking hard at the queen in the slow hive. Also, look for disease. You can try adding a solid frame of brood from Metallica to The Carpenters to see if that helps but a slow queen tends to stay that way after she's been laying for a while.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been feeding regularly since I installed them. Both hives get the same mixture and I use honey bee healthy per the instructions. I suspected the queen but I am hesitant to install a new one and set them back even further.

If I decide to install a new queen should I let them build up numbers a bit more before doing so?

If this queen is a slow layer would this trait be passed on to the next queen?

Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
If this queen is a slow layer would this trait be passed on to the next queen?

Thanks
Pinch her, wait a few days for the eggs to grow a bit, knock off all queen cells and add a frame of eggs from Metallica (LOVE the hive naming convention btw!).

This should give you a queen from the Metallica hive's genetics and avoid the possibility of bad genetics from The Carpenters. Although you might have to then call it Metallica2 or "Metallica the Come Back"... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts