Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anywhere that you can get the galvanized metal pans for the tops I am building? Dadant sells them, but is there any other supplier? I was even thinking of getting them made up at a sheet metal fabricator if the price was very reasonable. Has anyone done that? What was the price? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can buy rolls of aluminum flashing at your local hardware store (or Lowes, Home Depot, etc). The aluminum is thin enough that you can cut it by scoring it with a utility knife, but thick enough to be durable for many many years in the field. Cut the pieces slightly larger than your telescoping top cover and then fold the excess down around the sides and secure with small nails or screws.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I build it myself. Since I supply sheet metal shops with their machines. I have it in stock;) I do use them to build some things for me. Shop them around. You will get a better deal. You will need to buy more than one or two though.

Here is what you do. If you were to buy said top for $10.00 (not including freight) You go to the shop with one of these tops and tell them you are paying $8 for this top delivered. Can you match ot beat the price because you would like to give the business to someone local and would like to have other things made like hive stands ect..in the future. Take a pint of honey. You will be able to save some money.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Is anyone using a homemade jig for bending the metal? I just bought a roll of 24" flashing and was thinking I could make a simple jig to bend the metal. I have access to a metal brake, but was thinking that once you bend 2 parrallel sides you would not be able to get the other 2 into the break. Or am I missing something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I work for an insulation contractor. If you have one near you that does industrial type work they will have lots of scrape aluminum and stainless steel metal that is perfect for tops. They will also have a break for bending it. People are always coming here to have squirrley little things made for their grills, chimney, etc. It dosen't take but a minute to make a top cover and they should do it for no charge or at worst give them a jar of honey.

Buddy

·
Registered
519 Posts
You can buy galvinized flashing at the lumber yard, in small quantity rolls. I think they have 10' and 25' rolls. Cut it to size, and then you can bend the sheet metal over the edges with a hammer, and secure with standard roofing nails. If you over lap it about 3/4", it is easier than trying to overlap 1/4".

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I've thought about covering outer covers with fiberglass. Thin mat or cloth wouldn't require much resin. The cloth could be stapled into place and then the resin brushed on.

I would seal all inside joints with glue to prevent the odor of polyester resin permeating through, and then paint it.

I'm using HomeDepot flashing to make nuc covers, but fiberglass will be strongly considered for my eight frame covers. Especially since I have some mat in my garage.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Semi off topic, semi on topic, has anyone had issue with ants moving in under the metal? What have you done to stop this?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problems with ants under the top pans, but that would be hard to get rid of, unless you caulked all along the edges of the metal. I have a continuous problem with big black ants making nests on the top bars of my top bar hives, under the roof.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, they moved in at one point, I just took the top and banged it on the ground and they came running out, and then I put the metal side down and stepped down on it a bunch of times to kill what ever didn't come out. I am thinking of applying some silicone around all of them to see if that keeps the ants out.

Anyone find any issues with silicone and the bees?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think once the silicone is dry there will be no problem. The stuff does have a strong odor though when curing. May want to take the cover off and put a temporary lid of some sort on the hive until you caulk the original cover and let it dry good.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Why cover with Metal. I was told by a old time beekeeper that It would just make a oven for the bees.

Paint the top and call it a day. Works great for me but what do I know. I am a Rookie.:lookout:
Brooklyn

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey, I have the liquid fiberglass resin and the fiberglass mating just sitting in my storage shed. I forgot all about it till I read it here. Think I'm going to give it a try on the top of some plywood I just bought today for the purposes of making my own tops.

My mentor makes his own top without metal and then he painted them white. I asked about the rain and he said it was no problem. Fiberglass resin may be more waterproof.

Great idea.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have many telescoping covers, without metal. Make sure you have at least 2 heavy coats of paint on them. Yes, the metal will get hotter than plain painted wood.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just coat my tops with fiberglass epoxy resin thinned down a bit. No need for any actual fiberglass since you're not building up any structure, just sealing the wood. If you use polyester resin you'll need to use mat, since the poly won't really penetrate the wood much at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts