Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

We're considering mounting brass or stainless "drawer handles" on your supers / brood boxes.

I assume, they'd be propolized, but in general,
do the bees have problems with metal screw heads on the inside of their hive?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stinger,

The same thought crossed my mind as well. I've got a line on more "industrial" type handles. They're wide enough for leather gloved hands and take 1/4" or 3/8" diameter bolts.

·
Registered
702 Posts
This always boggled my mind too....these groove cutouts in the wood seems to me outdated....hard to hold on!

The handles would have to be screwed on from the inside of the box...just like on drawers.
But then....maybe it would not work as well for the commercial keepers?...because of stacking when moving, storing, etc?
Konrad

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have some with old metal drawer handles (kind of look like the old coke bottle openers) and they work great. There's also "Western" handles which are just 1 x 1 screwed to the outside above the cutout handles.

[ February 26, 2006, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Joel ]

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey Mike; You've got an unlimited supply of metal handels ;) Your used horse shoes, bend them back from the heel maybe 3", at a 90. Just an idea. ;)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Hey Mike; You've got an unlimited supply of metal handels Your used horse shoes, bend them back from the heel maybe 3", at a 90. Just an idea

Nice idea, I suppose. But my horses have never been shod. They're just barefoot.

·
Registered
971 Posts
May I commend you on a tuff job of proper hoof care. Very few (that I know) would attempt to leave a working horse unshod.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would not attempt it but then I've only had AQHAs. On this hive handle question, let me announce that being a monster and extremely strong, I tried to lift a doubles deep plus medium once. It was truly about two hundred pounds and I got it up but I broke the corner of the bottom box.

Those little tabs just broke one after the other sounding like a machine gun and leaving me with a mess of combs falling out. I think putting handles on a box would tempt us to try to lift more than the box is designed to hold. That box was glued and nailed five months earlier.

Since then I make plans to lift each box seperately and I'll probably keep one or two hives in deeps but any expansion is going to mediums or medium sized long hives.

It was unpleasant.

Hawk

·
Registered
918 Posts
All of my boxes now have a full width 1" by 1-1/2" cleat on the front and back of the box. To mount them I run four deck screws per cleat from the inside of the box out into the cleat. My cleats are ripped from 5/4 outdoor deck material in order to get the 1" thickness that I like for a more secure grip on the boxes.

I hate the cutout handles on purchased boxes as my hands always seem to be covered with honey or propolis when I try to lift a box. More than once I've dropped a box due to insufficient grip on the cutouts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts