Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the grip that comes with the metal entrance disk to be hard to grab, especially when you are closing it with mean guard bees or opening it after bringing it back to the yard and bumping it a few times. So I added a bigger grip.

I set the disk it on my vise opened just as wide as the grip, and banged the grip out a bit with a flat point chisel. I then threaded in a key chain ring, or in this case a whole key chain. One friend asked "Oh, are you locking your bait hives now?"

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Kind of big for your Pandora bracelet.

Nice addition, they way they should be made.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
real good idea
Thanks, though it took me about five years of fumbling before I came up with it. No I have to do the same to about 20 old traps and unused disks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sent a PM to odfrank about this, but couldn't follow up and send a thank you to his reply - so I thought that I'd post it here.

odfrank said:
I went to just bending out the little handle with a punch so that I could grab it or push it with my hive tool. I also put a circular copper wire on a few.

toekneepea said:
Hello,

I found your post about Metal Entrance Disk Improvements and I was wondering if you still use the key rings to assist turning the disk to close the entrance off.

Have the key rings held up over time? Do you still use them, or have you changed to something else?

I've found your posts on bait hives most helpful, and hope to catch some bees this year.

Thanks,
Tony P.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I guess I ought to be embarrassed to say that I don't use disks. I drilled three wine-cork sized holes (in the side) and plug a couple of 'em up with wine corks. Done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts