Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some medium, drawn, wired frames and was thinking on removing the wired capped honey this fall. I'm planning on pulling the horozontal installed wires, taking each comb out of the frame (Boy, that talked easy) and carefully cutting out comb honey from the factory wires. After that, I was thinking that I would install plain wax foundation so next time I would cut out comb without any wires messing with me. Maybe I'll leave 3/4" of comb all around the frames for "starter" stuff. What do do youse guys think? I'm braced for somewhat of a messy operation in the kitchen, so I'm not telling my precious one what I'm planning!

Fog

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
While I've not tried what you describe, my thought is that the foundation (after wire removal) is too heavy for traditional comb honey. For comb honey you want to use a very thin foundation.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It may not be too bad if you have honey tub or something similar to work in. I tried what you decribe last year and it is messy -- lots of handwashing, tabletop cleaning, dishwashing of untensils, etc. It did work, though.... it was just a lot of work. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts