Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New beekeeper here. I hived my package last Saturday and did a preliminary inspection yesterday. For some dumb reason, I evidently only put nine frames back in the hive so instead of putting the comb on the foundation, they built a large, oval piece of comb in the gap between two frames. No eggs or brood, of course, in fact it appeared completely empty. As I was holding the frame that the oval comb was attached to, it fell off landing on the top of the frames that were still in the box. Hopefully the queen wasn't in it. I did not see a queen or any eggs or brood in any other part of the hive, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking for the queen because it was cold and I wanted to just do a quick check and get it closed up again. I removed the comb and put the 10th frame in so they will have to start over. It's been cold and wet here (Minnesota) so I'm still feeding them pollen patty and sugar water. Because it's been wet, there hasn't been a lot of activity outside of the hive since the last sunny day, which was Sunday (the day after I packaged them). Any advice? Should I leave them alone to (hopefully) build on foundation? Should I open it back up once it's sunny again (this weekend) and try to make sure there's a queen? If the queen is dead, I will have to replace her and I'm not sure how late in the season I'll be able to do that. Are queens available through the summer?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would wait. She won't lay until there is room for her to and sometimes it can take a week or two for her to start even if she has a place to lay. Not sure how late queens are available in your area, but all through summer you should be able to get one. I can get one here until Oct or so.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You are saying they built comb on a frame you were holding...meaning on the edge of a frame in the gap? For future reference, new wax is very pliable...You could have mashed that into a more appropriate space on the frame, but what you did is ok too. Leave them closed up a couple weeks. Have you seen dandelions and such in bloom yet? The more the hive is interrupted, they can blame the queen and abscond. Let them establish themselves, and let the weather break. Good luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Watching and waiting for bees to do their thing is like watching a pot that never comes to boil. Kick back and leave them be. Check the hive in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Watching and waiting for bees to do their thing is like watching a pot that never comes to boil. Kick back and leave them be. Check the hive in a couple of weeks.
Amen to troutsqueezer's comment. It can be pretty frustrating waiting for favorable weather to do an inspection. You did good in shortening your inspection, and closing them up.

Phil

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>For some dumb reason, I evidently only put nine frames back in the hive so instead of putting the comb on the foundation, they built a large, oval piece of comb in the gap between two frames. No eggs or brood, of course, in fact it appeared completely empty.

Typical to have 9 frames in it if you put a 3 hole queen cage in as you have to make room for it... Don't worry about the wild comb. It wasn't in a frame anyway...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts