Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 frame lang deep with a really really thick honey frame. It seems thick enough that the bees either can't build comb in the frame facing the one side, or we put it against the box and everything is a really tight fit. I've been reading about not letting messed up comb lead to more messed up comb, but is this considered messed up? We are not sure if it is a better idea to leave this for winter stores, or if we should take it out and hope they build better comb. It is all honey and no brood, completely capped on the thicker side and half capped on the opposite (last pic, 1 week later).

(pictures here - photos 90-92, and photo 136-137 a week later).

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
could let them cap the rest of it and then extract it. i'd probably put the capped side against the wall and put everything flush against the other side so the rest of the spacing would be normal

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would suggest you extract it. You can trim off the excess comb. It is probably fine to go ahead and extract now.

If you don't extract/trim the comb that frame will cause you nothing but problems in the future. It won't fit. The bees woun't draw out comb opposite of it.

Tom

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Your bees are amateurs. Mine can do a lot crazier work than that when they put their minds to it. I think they keep one frame like that in an outside position just as a playground.

First opportunity, its gone. I just scraped an entire side of comb off one of those green drone frames because of the maze they'd built.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like we should have dealt with this sooner rather than later. I guess next inspection we'll either pull the frame or do as someone suggest, and just cut off the bits sticking out and put the frame back in. We aren't quite sure how much more honey they'll be able to get, given that this nuc swarmed a couple weeks ago and the new queen hasn't start laying yet. Their work force may be a bit low.

Learning lots every week. Thank you for your replies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts