Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught another swarm today. 6th call of the season. 4th capture. After I get them to their new home. I go the long way home to see what is blooming. Passed a Mesquite I thought was blooming but thought no way. Came across a few others blooming!! Had to get out and take a pic to prove it to myself. The last three years that I have been making notes. The Mesquites have started to bloom the first week of June. They are a month ahead! Not all are blooming yet, but saw quit a few.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Does this mean we are gonna shut down early this year? At my north apiary I still have hairy vetch blooming.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. Strange year though. Indian Blankets are blooming heavy. 2 weeks ahead of last year. The vetch is running 2 weeks or more behind. It blooming really good here too. Even the more Bluebonnets are popping up. Horsemint has yet to bloom though. It's 2 weeks behind.

daknoodle was down here a couple weeks ago when I supered. That super is full now. We checked yesterday. Gotta put a nother on tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Richardson. I wish I could take advantage of the mesquite blooms.
I got room if you want to run 1-2 down here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hambone's yards have lots of space and a ton of foraging area. I couldn't believe how packed that super was already. Are you going to be extracting that one, or is that one you are going to leave for them?

Also, I posted the video showing the new nucs! They look great, but forgot to put reducers on tonight. I'll be doing that in the morning.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Nice pics. I never have seen Mesquite.

It may be interesting to note that using calendar given by God to Israel, this year is a longer year (it contains an extra month). Everything up here in Maine is early too. We are already well into dandelion and apple is starting to blossom. Red maples are over almost along with the birch - and it is only may 8th (still 7 days to go before last frost date lol "oh-ya")

·
Registered
533 Posts
Saw the first mesquite bloom 10 days ago. A 92 year old woman I know where I keep some hives could not believe it. She said she had never seen them bloom this early.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the same here too. Mesquite, paintbrush, hairy vetch, dutch clover, white sweet clover all going right now....I hope those Mesquite stay around for a while!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just got back from a couple weeks around Austin/Round Rock. The wildflowers were just spectacular. Talked to some of the locals and all agreed that this was a particularly colorful year due to the past autumn rains. All I know is my allergies were giving me fits. Didn't notice the mesquite blooming or not, but everything else sure was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts