Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions / experience regarding the difference between the mite-a-thol pellet menthol and the also-available pure crystaline menthol that is about half the price?

Anybody had problems w/ the latter of know if it seems equally effective at the pellets?

Thanks for your input!

BS

·
Registered
67 Posts
Menthol Crystals/balls in a convenient mesh bag are available cheap from brusy mountain
1-800-beeswax. Thats where I get them.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Mrbills is correct. I sourced menthol crystals for around $11 per pound instead of the $20 plus for mite-a-thol. As for its use I don’t see why not. Mite-a-thol is just menthol pressed into pellets. I think pressing or melting the crystals into a thin slab would be a good way to use it. There would not be as much surface area as pellets but I don’t think that would really mater. Menthol is temperature dependent for its use.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Greetings . . .
The book, The Beekeepers's Handbook by Sammataro & Avitabile, 1998, p139, suggests the menthol be 98% pure. Mite-A-Thol, according to label, is 99.94%.

Just a thought!

------------------
Dave W . . .

Hobbyist - 1 Hive
First Package - Apr 03
Broodnest - 3 Deeps
Screened Bottom Board
Apistan - Aug 18, 03
Grease Patties - All year
2003/04 Winter Loss - 0%
See Forum1/HTML/001304, for ongoing mite counts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all for your input- The crystals are from Glory Bee Foods but not sure who provides them to GB- Have to check the bottle. I was thinking the crystals should be more volatile w/ the greater surface area. I'm going to try a test w/ a fixed quantity in a paint can and see if I can tell a difference.

Michael, you are using the grease patties w/ wintergreen?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Michael, you are using the grease patties w/ wintergreen?

No. I'm using natural sized cells and natural sized bees.

I did use grease patties once or twice, but not for several years now. FGMO fog works well on T-mites too, but I'm not using that this year either.

G

·
in the book " bee keeping for dumbies, he said take 1pint of canola oil and warm it on stove ,add 1- 1.8ounce of menthol packet to oil. dip paper towels in, place it on top bar over brood. this seems to work well . only one thing about this treatment it needs to be repeated once a month during winter. it can save you money . put extra paper towels in zip lock bag with rest of oil mixtuere .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts