Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
if this is like your other sites and doesn't have the persons location showing, not going to work with a bee site as the information provided is usually more relevant to people in the same location. all beekeeping is local.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wildbranch2007’s comments are hereby repeated. Location should be required to help assure relevant answers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Without location, most replies to cited 'problems' are irrelevant. Please don't make us lose this. It would also sometimes be helpful if we could source real names. I know of one instance where the person is certainly not a 'beekeeper' yet he pontificates on many subjects.

·
Administrator
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There will be an automatic setting that detects a users location and shows a Flag next to their username. People will be able to deactivate this feature if they want to.

Kevin

·
Registered
319 Posts
If it is a flag of the United States (or Canada), that will be as useful as a straw in space. No one will recognize the flag of North Dakota. Deactivating the feature is repugnant to the need for identification of the location of both persons - the asker and the responder.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
732 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in also, yes location is very important.

Admin, just asking since I do not know who you really are, but are you also a bee keeper??
My advice to you being from East Tennessee would not work too well for you up in Canada. I am catching swarms while you are still shoveling snow.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
There is a Moderator/Admin sub-forum that is not available to members on which I have been trying to impress on Admin/VerticalScope that Beesource really needs required member "Location" field.

So far, it seems that they have not understood the importance. (And, perhaps they never will. But now is the time to make your opinion heard! :banana: )

. . . or else . . . :ws:

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
This looks like we might be busy once the new site goes live. FYI, location is probably the single most important piece of information that this site needs. A flag showing country reminds one of an expression regarding certain appendages on a bull.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been a programmer for many years and worked on both sides of this coin. Working now as a contract IT director in a manufacturing firm. We are continually balancing everyone's (especially my own) resistance to change and standards and threats that are evolving without our being consulted.

On the location feature, I agree. I can't imagine taking much stock in advice here or anywhere that doesn't allow location information. If you want to let people opt-out of showing their location that is totally understandable.

We have a software product at work that is barely usable and replaced a software product that (though it changed little over 2 decades) allowed for a lot more flexibility and accurate numbers. The irony is that the new software is well-put-together at the database/code level. I recently told some folks, "A programmer can build you a dream home, .... has the fireplace, the open ceilings, everything you always wanted and it is built rock solid. What most of them cannot build is a door."

So yes, more people are interacting with mobile devices and site(s) need to be responsive. That's the world in which we live. But I'm assuming your revenue stream is chiefly advertising (impressions and click-throughs). Less visits, less $. Bring in a new field if you must, but keep the location info available. Also, I'm sure you guys are on top of it, but if you need help before, during or after migration let me know. I have 21 years across all kinds of languages, platforms, database, networking, and mobile apps. Be happy to donate some time as I really enjoy your site. Thanks so much for all you do! :)

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
if you would like to see what it will look like go here, I'm pretty sure you can go on the site. https://www.greentractortalk.com/
If you hover over the user posting it will give their location if they have filled it in, but it's a pain to keep doing that for everyone commenting.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
if you would like to see what it will look like go here, I'm pretty sure you can go on the site. https://www.greentractortalk.com/
If you hover over the user posting it will give their location if they have filled it in, but it's a pain to keep doing that for everyone commenting.
I went to the site and observed the flag as described. It was not clickable but I am not signed in. Does the flag open to more detailed info if you are signed up member.

To me the flag only is not much use as they are not something I attempt to commit to memory.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
if you put your cursor over the flag it will say where the person lives, if they include the info, just get to be a pain doing it on every person that comments, after a while I just forget about
using it. interesting I went in the link I gave you, really different layout than what I see when I go in normally, I guess I changed quite a few options, to bad I can't remember which ones they were. some of the quirks that are a real pain, they give you different thread that they think may be related to the subject at hand at the bottom of the page, except that they don't use any logic regarding the date on that thread, so suddenly some body updates a "related thread" from 5 years ago and every one starts posting until some one notices. One that I find a pain is a thread gets updated a month or so(I'm not sure of the exact circumstances) and you had read the thread way back then, when it gets reselected you go back to the first entry in the thread even though you may have read all but the last entry, some times takes a while to notice, so any thread I read every once in a while I click the like button on a comment, when rereading the thread I watch for me liking the comment to realize I have already read the thread. there is an thread on there for complaint if I can find it, i'll put it here for people to see.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I too visited the site, and discovered that the meaning of “flag” has been usurped by computer programers. Sampling the “flags”, only two (2) of five (5) displayed location information.

The proposed solution creates more complication. What happened to the concept of American Pragmatism? If there is a problem, create a solution, not a complication. In simpler terms, insert a location so that context is understood.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
oh ya another thing, on the current beesource, if you comment on a thread, you get the little arrow to let you know that you commented, no go on the new system, so if you really like to know you can follow the thread but it gets real cumbersome if you comment a lot, haven't found any easy way around it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If this 'new forum' is going to be anything like the 'green tractor talk' forum, I'm anticipating less participation on my part. :( ....unless some unseen miracle happens. :scratch:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.