Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a good day to melt down some of my junk wax. My first batch had quite a bit of junk in it that did not fall to the bottom. Would adding water help? Also, The gunk at the bottom isn't exactly as easy to slice off as I have seen in videos. Any suggestions?
My set up: A small crock pot in which I boil water. I have a small sauce pan that I put in the water with the wax in it. Thanks for any suggestions. J

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
A $7 microwave at the Salvation Army and some pyrex containers from same outlet. So much faster and safer. Pour dirty wax thru nylon tricot. You can order by the yard on line.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vance. I know I could strain it, but don't have anything around today and wanted to get it done. I am doing it in the garage and watching it like a hawk while I have adult beverages and repair some equipment. I needed a reason to have some "garage time" so thought I would get some wax melted down. J

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
T-shirt material works (though you lose a lot in the fabric). Also pantyhose for filtering large debris.

Nothing is as easy as on youTubes, nor in bee articles.

I always have water in with the wax (if only to make the cooled cake easier to get out of the crock pot) . You can slice off the best part, leaving the gunk in the lower section. Then collect a group of lower sections and remelt them together, gathering some more good stuff. Sunlight (strong summer sun) does wonders to bleach wax, too.

What could be better than futzing around in the garage doing assorted bee-stuff/chores?

Nancy

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
J, I heat my wax in water in a dedicated saucepan, then strain though a sieve I also bought for this purpose. I pour the wax and water into a deep food container to cool and pop out the wax cake when it is. Then I do it again with the water and strain through cheesecloth. Wax comes out real clean, only a tiny bit of gunk to scrape off. Amazing how dirty the water is after the second boiling. The wax I collected earlier today is cooling on the kitchen counter now. Later it will go into the Rival crock pot I bought for $2 and be used on starter strips and plastic foundation that the bees did not draw out last year.
This is wax processing at the hobby level. Not to the fish cooker 5 gal bucket stage yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I take yogurt containers (or any like sized containers) and cut the top 1.5 or 2 2 inches off of one and discard the bottom. I boil the wax over 2 inches of water in an old sauce pan till its had time to circulate via the boiling for a bit. Then I take cheese cloth (the good kind) or fabrick and put a square off it over a whole container and push the 2 inch top part I cut off onto the cheesecloth and it holds it at the top inside the container. Then pour as many containers as i need and let them sit. Super easy to get the hard wax out as the containers flex. Can use a butter knife around the edge. And they are convenient sized wax portions. Often can reuse the filter cloth it remelts with the hot water. You can also take it off and squeeze the cacoons to extract the extra wax out of them and then disgard the remainder. You can get some extra sediment from that so i often just squeze that back into the sauce pan to melt in the next batch... also the more water you use the cleaner the wax will be however the more contsiners you will need as it takes more space. I got sick of the boil scrape and reboil methods..

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
The boil/reboil method produces pretty wax. A must if you will be making stuff with it. Here is the wax I rendered this evening. All in all, came to 6.35 oz. Good luck and do not use any of your wife's utensils!

20190330_222431.jpg

·
Registered
623 Posts
I use the 5 gal paint straining bags and a large crockpot. Wash the wax in the bag and a five gal bucket several times. The place the bag in the crockpot with the bag over the edges of the pot. Add water. Heat until melted. Take the bag out and squeeze the gunk in the bag to get the remaining wax out. Let the wax cool over night. Pop it out in the morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts