Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took the advice and got a cheap {$1.00} Crock Pot at a Flea market and it worked GREAT,Here's what I did. First I took an old T'ee shirt double thickness with the fuzzy side inside and put that in the crock pot deep enough to hold the wax I had to Melt, poured in some water, turned on the pot and let it melt the wax. When the wax was all melted I lifted the Tee shirt out which brought all the dirt and foreign material out with it, {BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT WAX} which left the clean wax in the pot. Let it cool and you got nice clean Yellow WAX. When the wax cools it will shrink away from the pot and you can easily lift it out. What would you do differently? Thanks for all the advice. Dale

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
A solar wax melter with a piece of fine window screen in the melting tray gives you very clean yellow wax. If you want it refined further add some cheesecloth over the catch basin. :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Was the wax in the shirt under the level of the water, or did it melt from the ambient heat or steam? Sorry...sometimes I need a picture drawn.
Anja

·
Registered
82 Posts
We use the crock pot for candle wax. I use a T shirt or cheesecloth and line the pot with it and just let excess hang over edges. I then fill the pot with about 1/2 inch of water. I then pack as mch wax as I can in the pot and turn the crock on and cover with a lid. It comes out so much cleaner than a solar melter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts