Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
My first attempt was an epic fail. Turned into a rock. Will give it another shot and take it off the heat 5 degrees earlier. J

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,788 Posts
J, mine stayed a bit on the too soft side. Had to keep it refrigerated or it kinda melted. I need to bump up about the same 5°

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Well JW, I told the truth, but not the whole truth. Actually, my first batch was too soft. It never did get anywhere near solid even after sitting in the garage for a night. But, I removed both batches when thermometer hit 275F. I used honey from 2 different jars and am now wondering if the composition of the honey may make a difference. J

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The 3-4 batches that we made were probably a bit softer than store bought caramel, but that's the way we like it. It doesn't stick to my teeth and makes it easier to chew. We added nearly a cup of black walnuts to our last batch too.....oh yumm!!!

Just talking about it makes me hungry for it again......time to crank out another batch or two. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,788 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Success! I took mgolden's advice and checked my brand new thermometer. It was 30 degrees off (low)! It doesn't explain my too soft batch, but I used a different one and they came out perfect. Thanks for posting Kamon.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
439 Posts
30 degrees low would make it turn out soft (undercooked)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
No, I meant it was reading 30 degrees low meaning that I actually heated to 305 which makes it turn into a brick. J

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Okay, I did it. Made my first batch of 2020 Honey Carmel......with Black Walnuts.

MMMMMMMMM, good!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts