Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After racking out of the primary, off the fruit and into a carboy, it seems I got a bunch of pulp. Maybe an inch has settled after a few days. Is it better to wait the 20 days or so for fermentation to slow/stop to rack again, or get it off that sediment?

I increased the recipe a bit, so I have a 5gallon carboy and a 1 gallon(for topping off). Dilution won't be an issue, since I'll use the extra 1 gallon to top off, then move the extra into a half gallon jug if a future racking is required.

All my reading indicates getting it off the lees to prevent off tastes, but they don't seem to recommend racking so soon. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

When I racked SG was 1.005 and its still bubbling along.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I personally try to rack a few as time as possible.
every time you rack you introduce oxygen in to the mead and tha in the long run will spoil something that is good.

you may be doing the ol'natural method, but i say still minimize the racking. let gravity do it job.

as for the top off, i really do not like this idea unless you have access to Co2 or a different inert gas to displace the oxygen. i get you want to prevent oxidation, but what is the point if you top up mead sits with the carboy half full of o2.

i personally like KC's SUper Kleer, this fining will clear a product up quick.

i say wait to rack that first time until it is done, removing it from the yeast can cause problems with off flavor clean up. (mainly sulfur)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts