Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad winter and lost all but one hive. The hive that survived, was a swarm that I caught the year before. They were darker than my other bees, and a bit more aggressive, but not too bad. This year that hive is growing like crazy. I have already split them once(hasn't made a queen yet). The problem with this hive is..... it is down right mean!!! If I suit up and go in it, there will be 10 or 20 bees bouncing off my veil the whole time I am there. Then when I am done, they will chase me all the way back to the shed. (150 feet). Then if I get within 100 feet of them the rest of the day, I will get stung.

So, my question is this. Has anyone who has had a hot hive, ever killed the queen, let them make a new one, and end up with a nicer hive? This is in Wisconsin, so they shouldn't have Africanized genes.

The crazy thing is, I caught another swarm on Wednesday, check to make sure there were eggs on Sunday. No eggs and I haven't seen the queen (I need to spend more time looking for her)....... so I was going to give them a frame from the hot hive so if there was no queen in the new swarm they could make a new one. But I wonder what they might turn out to be.

Thanks for the help

Mike

·
Registered
507 Posts
I too would be very interested in this thread. I currently have a hot hive of bees from a cutout I did. I purchased a new queen but am wondering if I can stand the bees for the next 6-8 weeks it will take for the old bees to die off?

My mind is open.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't take that long for a hive to mellow out. It all depends on how many "hot" drones the queen mated with. Not all of her brood will be hot, for instance. Then again, she might be the "hot" one, and all of her progeny will be!

Sometimes waiting, or patience, is most difficult for us beeks.
Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been there, done that. I had a very hot hive, did a walkaway split. Tried to requeen- they balled her. Tried queen cells later- never saw virgins after hatching. Bought two new queens- they took, saw the queens on5/22, everything looks good. So after all that--- requeen with store bought queens. good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yes I have done that many times, and most times they will be much calmer, be prepared to do battle to find her, hot hives tend to run around a lot, can be tough to find her, good luck
Bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I will give it a try. And yes, the bees do run all over the place. Maybe I will split it again, that way at least one of the hives will be making a new queen, and it should make it easier to find the queen in the other hive.

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem with a hive this spring. I ended up splitting it twice, Each time just taking one whole super off and adding a bottom and top. Both hives made a queen right away and all 3 hives are once again mellow. Also in WI.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I split them today. Man was that a fight. I was getting so ticked, I almost went and got the gasoline and a match. After some work, I did get them split, however.... I was not able to find the queen and I got tired of those buggers. So I walked away. Hopefully I can open them up in a few days and see who is making queen cells. Then I will spend the time on the other trying to find the queen.

I have no idea how some of you guys that deal with the Africanized bees do it. I don't think I could.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have no idea how some of you guys that deal with the Africanized bees do it. I don't think I could.
Hot hives get "bagged" period. We dont have time to deal with them. In regards to making their own queen I would be concerned that its her genetics that are hot, work on getting another queen either mated or cells and get those genes out of your pool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hot hives get "bagged" period. We dont have time to deal with them. In regards to making their own queen I would be concerned that its her genetics that are hot, work on getting another queen either mated or cells and get those genes out of your pool.
Thanks

Thats what I will do if I have to... but these are survivor genetics, so if I can mellow them out, and keep some of the survivor genes, that would be better.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Not to be a stick in the mud but if they are a swarm that you caught last year then they really haven't had time to build up much of anything to an injurous level to survive. It could be that they're ticked because they're stressed over whatever has built up this spring that they are now starting to deal with. Run them through an excluder to find the old queen, pinch her and get a new one.
All of the people that I know of that are breeding towards treatment free bees are also paying attention to temperment so your chances of getting a survivor AND something gentle are much greater if you pinch her.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You are NOT going to change the nature of "hot" bees ! Of course you can requeen with a queen with different genes and change everything. I have NO confidence in locally raised queens. At best you are throwing the dice as to whether they will be more gentle ( and losing 6-8 weeks ).
The "survivor genes" are worthless because they come with a temperment you ( or I ) can't endure ! Africans have phenominal survivor genes but who can stand them ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You CAN mellow a hot hive. Local queens CAN be great! I agree that the chance of AHB in WI is unlikely.

I can tell you that my beloved bee mentor, 97 year old Mr. Mertz tells me that the old German Black bees are/were hotter than the AHB we have here in south TX now. I don't have any black bees, but I bow to his wisdom.

You might also check and see if something else is bothering them. A hive that gets visited or knocked regularly by ***** and skunks and who knows what else can be cranky, too.

GL
Summer

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just had to post the results of requeening my hot hive #5 on this thread.

Saturday evening I put in a caged, mated queen from Flyman into the hot hive. I released the queen into the hive on Wed. and out of curiosity, went over to check on the hive. Not a single bee was flying or standing on the landing board. My first thought was confusion and then concern. This just wasn't expected.

I gently eased the lid off of the hive, fully expecting to have bee blow up in my face, only to find all of the bees calmly, quietly working on the frames. Not a single bee lifted off the frames to fly. I was stunned. I didn't stay long or do anything but just look. I didn't move any frames, just looked.

On the first inspection (there will of course be more to compare) the hive completely calmed down.

Looks like "Mama set down the house rules"!

·
Registered
51 Posts
You are NOT going to change the nature of "hot" bees ! Of course you can requeen with a queen with different genes and change everything. I have NO confidence in locally raised queens. At best you are throwing the dice as to whether they will be more gentle ( and losing 6-8 weeks ).
The "survivor genes" are worthless because they come with a temperment you ( or I ) can't endure ! Africans have phenominal survivor genes but who can stand them ?
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. I've been keeping bees for close to 10 years now, which I know is not all that long, but I have never put down a hive because it was hot. Splitting seems to help considerably for both old and new hive. When I do make a split it is always a walk away and let them make their own queen, which so far has always worked out well.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I disagree with ALL of this. I've had the opposite experience and so have many others on Beesource.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts