Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question. What should the consistency of pollen patties be? Should it be wet/gooey or more like bread dough? I have tried the recommended mix on the megabee bag and they are real "gooey". (Is that a word?)
Thanks
Barry

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I usually go for peanut butter consistency. A little bit wetter than bread dough (but not much) and a little bit drier than "gooey."

Usually if it's a little bit wetter than bread dough, the bees start licking up all the sugar water on the outside, then when they are done with that, they are all ready for the pollen. At least that is my observation.

I know others that go for bread dough consistency.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am using megabee, it it comes out like peanut butter. I spread small amount, 1/4 lb, on top bars with no paper. That way they can get to it easy and eat it up before hive beetles lay in it.

Johnny

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gooey is in fact a word and a good way to describe the warm mixture of Megabee and syrup/honey. It is a very slow moving liquid, half way between molasses and cookie dough. If you need it to firm up, cool it some and it will become more like cookie dough. I usually make half pound patties with a 1 cup disher (ice cream scoop) and some deli wax papers.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You want it about toothpaste consistency AFTER it sets up. Patties thicken up 24 hours after you make them.

You will have to play with the mix until you get it the way you want. Make them runny when you mix them now, and they will be like toothpaste tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts