Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I order some Megabee and I was wondering if I could put it in the freezer. How long will it last in the house without refrigeration? We are having some cold night but the day gets up to 45 to 60. Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Had mine sitting on my desk for months,feeding now, bees love it. Ordered another bag, got it yesterday. Did not want to run out. Going to feed it heavy to my hives via open method. 1-1 also.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Went to Kelleys yesterday, bought some powdered mega bee. I want to mix it with syrup & make patties. There are no instructions how to mix it. Do I mix it with 1-1, 2-1 or what and how much? Do I need to cook or process it someway? This is my first time using it. HELP!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Haven't tried the solution. Have a plate (dinner plate size plastic).Setting out in the open. I also have several open feeder syrup containers around the yard. Bees hitting it heavy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Went to Kelleys yesterday, bought some powdered mega bee. I want to mix it with syrup & make patties. There are no instructions how to mix it. Do I mix it with 1-1, 2-1 or what and how much? Do I need to cook or process it someway? This is my first time using it. HELP!!!
You don't need to cook or process it. I mix the powdered Mega Bee with some 2:1 sugar syrup, some of my own honey, and some of my own pollen ( ratio of about 10-20% pollen). I've trapped pollen from last year and have it frozen. Wish I had trapped more last year. I mix it slowly adding the syrup & honey to make a thick peanut butter like consistency. I spoon out gobs of it onto individual waxed paper strips, folding the wax paper over onto the top of the gob and push down & smooth out into about 3/4" thickness, trim off excess wax paper,.....put the pattie right on top bars, close to the cluster/broodnest. Bees love this stuff,...especially if you can add some real pollen to it. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Mega bee web site has recipes. It has mixing instructions from 1-200 pounds of MB.

http://www.megabeediet.com/mixinginstructions.html

Joe

·
Registered
143 Posts
Has anyone ever tried mixing honey or sugar syrup into dry megabee instead of using hfcs. I have only used premade patties and thought maybe I would try mixing myself.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
As mentioned, there is excellent guidance on the Megabee site. Read also the "Advice" section. Several key tips are given, and questions answered.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Just finished a second round of patties. We mix it 1 lb of Megabee powder to 1.5 lb of 2:1 Sugar syrup. If you live in a highly infested SHB area you can only put on about a 1-2 lb patty or you will have numerous SHB larva in the patties. Found one today that had larva in the patty. A fairly strong hive will consume the patty before the SHB can go to work on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts