Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fed MegaBee or any other pollen substitute in the Mountain Camp method? I've got 1/2 of the racks covered with dry sugar in the MC way. Just curious if I could cover the other half with some megabee....Why am I asking this? 1. I'm lazy and maybe trying to not have to make patties. And 2. Trying to save my marriage and avoid the stickiness starting two months earlier than usual!! haha
Just curious is anyone has fed it dry directly into the hive...

·
Registered
193 Posts
It has worked well for me this past year. I ran out of candy boards on a few hives in one of my out yards and used it, they too to it well.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Last year I made, in addition to unadulterated fondant cakes, several that had pollen mixed in. I added these in late winter to colonies whose pollen stores were low; they did store it but didn't start brood rearing until I offered light syrup later. Worked pretty well I thought (though I'm eschewing fondant-making for the MCM; just too labor-intensive).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tried makind the patties acording to the package on Megabe. My bees didn't touch it.Let me say that I used it in open feeding situations.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Patties should be placed within 2 inches of the cluster to get the bees to take it.

In early spring before there are pollen sources, you can get the bees to take dry powdered supplements in open feeding situations.

·
Registered
760 Posts
beaver,
as soon as they find a fresh pollen supply they will slow on the take up of sugar and pattie- infact i had one hive that carted the dry sugar out the door as soon as they found the Maples ??? but others seem to still take it

id leave it on for a bit into spring and then put your left over in the freezer until next year -
just label it or You might have patties for dinner !!!!!!haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts