Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be recommended number of supers per hive? this is our first year trying to decide how much to buy at one time instead of buying a little at a time.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What would be recommended number of supers per hive? this is our first year trying to decide how much to buy at one time instead of buying a little at a time.
That is tough,

Have you asked any of your local peers? For us two medium supers per hive would be great. Typically, we get one medium super per hive. Varies by the year. This year, my best colony has three ten frame mediums full now, above the brood nest. I try to be very careful with our harvest, in case we have a bad fall. After sourwood in early July, our flow is done until the fall goldenrod/aster flow - if it happens.

Shane

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I have a msg out to locals , we started with 2 nucs and I now have 2 medium supers on with no excluder.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I like to have atleast 3per hive. They may not need that many the first year but, I like to have everything ready from the start. If you wait until you need them to get them you will be late getting supers on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok looks like I need to get at least 2 more supers ready to go

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another factor to consider is will you be extracting multiple times during the year or only once. I myself extract one time per year so I've got to have enough supers to accommodate this plan. My strongest colony has 8 shallow supers on it, 7 full and the 8th only partially. I figure for at least 5 shallows per colony per year where I live.
Check with other Beekeepers in your area as suggested above, but take into account their method of beekeeping as that in itself can skew the answer a fair amount.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm not far from you.
When I started I had one hive and one super. When they would get a few frames capped I'd take them and put the emptys right back on.

I have a homemade extractor now but I still operate the same way.

This wouldent work for the big boys but it works for me at the time.
Woody Roberts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow
I would think my area sw mo should be similar to TN , I guess I may need more

·
Registered
77 Posts
wow
I would think my area sw mo should be similar to TN , I guess I may need more
The easy out here would involve a minimal number of supers with the plan of multiple extractions until you've got an accurate idea of how many supers are needed for a single extraction should this be your prefered plan of extraction.

I'm in middle TN in hill country with PLENTY of Tulip Poplar and White Clover along with all the incidental honey plants mixed in. Year to year the surplus flow is over by June 1st here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if you can, err on the side of having more. The bees can't bring in nectar that you didn't provide room for. Having one extra is better than lacking one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Adding a third super to one hive tomorrow. I didn't think I would need it but I'm glad I have a couple of medium supers ready. The best advice- be prepared. Always have one more box, deep or medium, than you have planned on; it's better than panicking.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mo,
Easiest put: 2(mediums) per hive light flow, 3 medium flow, 4-6 heavy

Combine your orders with club members or beek friends for mutual savings. I.e. order foundation in groups of 100 (10 frames per super X 10 supers) if you need 6, wanna bet you will need the others by spring? Or a friend/neighbor? Whomever you chose to order from, find out their pricebreaks and see what you need looking forward.

Welcome to having a woodenware addiction sometimes filled with bees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts