Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I grossly over estimated how much honey some of my hives would need to get through the winter, leaving me with several supers of crystalized honey. Is there a good way to position these to encourage the bees to eat through as much as possible? It seems like it would be next to impossible for me to liquify it enough for my extractor to be able to get it spun out. Thanks

·
Registered
915 Posts
You could set it a little bit away and scrape the cappings, they will rob it out just like a weak hive. Just make sure they have room to store the extra.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but how do you get it out of the frames.

I'm worried about starting a robbing frenzy. There has been some efb in my neighbors hives that may have shown up in small amounts in mine last year. Not sure communal feeders are a good idea.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yeah but how do you get it out of the frames.
If you uncap the frames, and put them in a bucket of warm water with about the right honey/water ratio to make mead I suspect the crystals will dissolve. Anything left in the frame (mix of honey and water) can then be spun out.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
thinking more about this, scraping the frames, crushing everything, and throwing it in a bucket of warm water may work better. The wax will float off and the honey will dissolve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts