Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started with a new package of bees in the middle of April at a new hive location. My frames were 80% drawn and I wanted to add another super. I thought I had a deep at the location but I just had a medium which I added. I am hoping to add another deep as soon as the medium is 80% drawn out. Will this be a problem? Should I move the medium to the top when I add the next deep. Let me all know what you think.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would go ahead and put deep on top of other deep. Do u have stores in medium? They may draw out the second deep faster if u can take the medium off and put it on another built up hive. They will only work but so much foundation and they may continue with the medium even if u put another deep between the brood chamber and medium.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use single deeps as brood chamber with excluder on top and medium supers above that. I haven't had a problem with single deeps for brood. I just keep check on supers and make sure they have room to put stores in supers.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
My thought is you put the medium on too soon - I want all frames drawn and bees actively using 90% of the frames before I put on a new box.

Is your ultimate intent to have 2 deeps and a medium? If so then it really doesn't matter where the medium goes. If you plan to have 2 deeps and that's it (except for honey supers) if there is no brood in the medium take it off, if there is brood shake the bees off, put a queen excluder on and pull it once all the brood has hatched.

What is the typical configuration for your area?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan to have 2 deeps and a medium but I usually add a second deep but didn't have it handy. I just put the medium on on Sunday. I don't use queen excluders but I'm thinking I might want to replace the medium with a deep if I don't find any brood as you said.

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts