Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that sell nucs... If a "standard" nuc is 5 deep frames then how many frames would be a medium nuc??? would it be 5 or 8 due to the size/area of the frames??

Thanks, prolly another dumb question, but I'm not knowing.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Nuc is short for nucleus hive. It could be anywhere from one to eight frames and still be less than a full hive. Typically when selling bees on combs for starting a hive, it's between four and five frames. Medium nucs are usually five frames, same as the deeps and usually the same price because it costs about the same to produce them. Medium frames and medium boxes are the same price as deep frames and deep boxes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, a friend and I got into a discussion on buying nucs instead of package bees and it seemed to us those that want medium nucs were getting less bees than in deep nucs thus, there might / should be a difference in price.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Might be less bees in general, but it's about the same input to put together, still need 5 frames, a queen, and bees. Honestly, I'd charge more, since it's more economical to go with deeps but assembling mediums takes the same effort.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The configuration isn't really all there is to determining the value of bees in spring time. 5 medium frames of bees in early April might still produce a good bit of honey on the main flow in May. 5 deep frames of bees delivered on May 15 probably would miss most of it.

The decision to buy medium or deep nucs (if both are even available) should be made more from what kind of equipment you want to use, and the quality of the bees and supplier. My opinion anyway.

Despite all that I sold 8 frame medium singles about May 1 this year for $150.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts