Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if anyone makes/sells medium frame queen castles/mating box and or a double nuc resource hive (Palmer style hives) I can only find Humble Abodes and shipping from Maine to OK I could just go buy 2 from mann lake or someone that has free shipping and just cut the bottoms off to make a medium and still save a few bucks. But dont really need 2. Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
You can use thin (1/4" or 3/8") plywood to divide the super for making mating nucs, queen castle, etc. You can use 3/4" divider to make the bottom of resource hive. You can shave the frame side bars to 1 1/4" center-to-center to allow more room to fit the frames in the divided supers. You can make second story of the resource hive by simply using butt joined boxes from locally bought lumber. You will just need a simple table saw to make everything listed.

I run 5 frames in bottom divided resource hives and 4/5 frames on second story onward. I make second story boxes exactly 8 1/8" wide so as to double stack on the divided bottom super.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Humble Abodes is the only one I know of for medium double nuc and they just started that this year. I am tempted to go with there MIGRATORY NUC with an extra box on top and pushed together NUC together to make a double 4 over 4 for $60 vs $80 for a palmer style with cover.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys I appreciate it

Pjigar thanks I didn't know about the frames being shaved down. I dont have any problems building my own and enjoy it. But I dont have a mill or lumber yard close to me and most of the time wood from big box is not cost efficient to build vs getting from mann or dadant. I usually can always find things I "need" to make $100 for free shipping 😂 I am going to test out some of those ideas and the frames.

Learn something new all the time here

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Anyone know if anyone makes/sells medium frame queen castles/mating box and or a double nuc resource hive (Palmer style hives)
Saw both in a Betterbee catalog, no free shipping, but they look nice:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you guys I appreciate it

Pjigar thanks I didn't know about the frames being shaved down. I dont have any problems building my own and enjoy it. But I dont have a mill or lumber yard close to me and most of the time wood from big box is not cost efficient to build vs getting from mann or dadant. I usually can always find things I "need" to make $100 for free shipping �� I am going to test out some of those ideas and the frames.

Learn something new all the time here
If you have a unassembled 10 frame medium you just need to make 2 dado cuts on the end boards for some 1/8" hardboard sheets to separate into thirds. Leave the hardboard above the sides 3/4" to use a 1x to cover each space separately. Notch the bottom board on 2 different sides for entrances and block the excess front entrance to cover the other chambers. Then use a telescoping cover to cover the whole top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts