Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just starting beekeeping this spring. New hives and new bees. I've read in "Beekeeping for dummys" that you should medicate your sugar water when installing new packaged bees. They recommend using Fumagilin-B. Also recommended is a supplement "Honey bee healthy." Is this recommended?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I think "Beekeeping for Dummies" was written with a lot of recommendations for medicating bees that maybe aren't always necessary. I don't remember now when it was first published. As you will read/see on Beesource, there is a a growing trend to use less and less medication.

In your part of the country [and mine], the use of Fumagillin-B is mostly recommended for feeding in the fall because the bees are 'cooped up" for a relatively long period, which may exacerbate the effects of Nosema.

Many beekeepers use H.B. Healthy in syrup and claim it has benifits.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can agree with that, however, I only use the syrup and HBH. If your Apiary is a good one, there really shouldn't be any need for chemicals except for their debut. The world should relax a bit from chemical use because of the slight possibilities of CCD and the bees immune system.
Thanks for the help. I agree about the use of chemicals. I don't think the HBH will hurt, so I may give it a try.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Would you feed your family drugs before they are sick? The diseases, pests and parasites are already pretty resistant to the chemicals already. Medicating adds another stress by the bees digestive system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ctbees, do I search for a beekeeping association in your area. I negelected to do that my first season and it was a flop. I ended up killing a bunch of bees and having to start fro scratch the next year. Most of the problems could've been prevented with a little guidance.

Don't go it alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts