Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's Monday, and I know that I am dense at times, so please help me out here. When beekeepers talk about Mediums (as in going all mediums) for their brood boxes and supers, what size broodbox do they have in mind? Is it 6 5/8", 7 5/8" or something different altogether? I want to convert to just one size of equipment for both brood boxes and supers (it will actually be a moot point to distinguish them, but hey, for right now I keep calling them that), but it seems I confused myself in the ordering process. Can someone please clarify for me?
TIA
Marc

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
All 6 5/8". That's what I use.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Marc, Using the same size box(mediums) has been a good thing for me. It's amazing how much weight that extra 3" results in when using deeps! Some people call mediums "Illinois" supers, as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I got mixed up with the 6 5/8" measurement. Somehow I thought that was the standard for supers. I'll check it out tonight when I get home...

Barry, I agree with you. This past summer I did the classic "lift a heavy deep and twist" maneuver. The backpain convinced me that it was time to tackle mediums. That's one of the things I would do differently if I could start all over again, I would definitely use all mediums. oh if I had only found Beesource and Michael Bush's website earlier... :)

One of my goals for the coming year is to start converting some of my hives to all mediums. It adds a third sized box type to my collection, but it will be better in the long run.

Thanks again for your helping me sort this out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know that I have seen it, but can't remember where, when you run all mediums, most will run 3 brood boxes instead of 2 deeps, right?

·
Registered
574 Posts
The standard medium size is 6 5/8" but you could go non-standard, and some do. Some go with 7 1/2" instead in order to utilize the full potential of a 1x8 board without waste, but then those beeks have to either special order their frames, or make them themselves... and they are limited in their choices of foundation as well... usually starter-strips are a good bet on what would be used in such a non-standard box. So there are advantages to going with standard sized equipment.

With the back issues, not only will going to mediums be a good step in the light direction (get it, right direction/light direction... bad pun, sorry)... but another thing to consider is 8-frame equipment instead of 10-frame. If you do both, you'll double your weight reduction measures and really reduce the risk of injury significantly.

bs63366, 3 medium boxes offers the same amount of space as 2 deeps, so yes that's correct. But running mediums gives the beekeeper a little more flexibility in that they can give them just 1 medium (basically the same as a nuc), 2 mediums, 3 mediums, or even 4 mediums if the bees need that much space for brood.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SgtMjr you are cracking me up..."light direction..." :)

Earlier I measured the size of deep frames and the size of mediums and calculated the square inches for each, than figured out much real estate a medium and a deep with ten frames each have. Amazingly, three mediums are almost exactly what two deeps are in terms of frame space (the mediums have slightly more, but not much). I know, others have figured it out before me, but I was surprised ho close they came in the end results.

What confused me when I asked this question was the fact that my honey supers are 6 5/8", so I am actually using mediums for the past five years as supers and didn't realize it. That's why I thought mediums should be somewhere between the deep (9 5/8) and the super as i knew it (6 5/8). Boy, see what a long winter does to your brain? lol

Anyways, glad y'all helped me sort this out. This year I will start to change my hive set-ups on some hives, with the rest following either next year or the year after.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Saw this post and I have additional question. I suffered a hand injury 2 yrs ago and now suffer from chronic tendinitis. Can't give up beekeeping, love it to much. I want to change over to mediums. Would there be a problem keeping the large super (as a "base") and place the mediums on top. I was planning on splitting the hives in the spring.
thanks,---Deb

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I know that I have seen it, but can't remember where, when you run all mediums, most will run 3 brood boxes instead of 2 deeps, right?

If you figure the area of comb as the measurement for all practical purposes three medium ten frame boxes is exactly equal to two ten frame deep boxes.

Four eight frame mediums is exactly equal to two ten frame deeps.

Two eight frame mediums is exactly equal to one ten frame deep.

One eight frame medium is exactly equal to one five frame deep nuc.

So most people who are running all ten frame mediums run three for the brood chamber in parts of the country where two deeps are the norm. Some only run two in parts of the country where one deep or a deep and a shallow are the norm.

·
Registered
261 Posts
A couple of years ago the Bee journal had a article about the different sizes to use. The article sugessted using the medium size for every thing. This way the Brood boxes would be interchangable with supers.That is not what I have but I wish I did.I am71 years old and the deep onesare getting heavy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts