Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A month ago, I managed to get 2 swarms (from 1 of my big hives) into a deep apiece. Fine. The bees were bringing in pollen, so I guessed queens were present. Never actually saw 1.

I fed each ever since. No increases in population though, far as I could tell.

Today I checked each hive; no larvae at all, just a little capped honey, some comb and nectar. I noticed that each deep had a lot of queen cups, and each was opened at the bottom.

Why was this? Why wouldn't queens in the swarms produce offspring? Or why wouldn't some new queens "take" (esp. considering the # of cups)? :s

I finally combined the 2, planning to add larvae/nurse bees from a strong hive soon. Not feeling too confident about the plan, but ... it's a plan. Maybe it would be better just to cut my losses and let 'em bite the dust?

Any ideas or insights re: this would be appreciated....

Mitch

·
Registered
146 Posts
A month passed since you hived the swarms? Multiple swarms will involve virgin queens. That can take a week or two for the newly mated queen to begin laying, but one would think they would be laying at this time. Early April, in NC, I assume you had numerous drones available? Did weather turn bad right after you hived the swarms, which might have caused the queens to fail to mate or be killed? Just making some guesses here, no real solutions. Definitely add a frame or two with eggs and you should get a queen, though. Add some nurse bees since all your workers are now getting older. As for the queen cups, this was freshly drawn comb or old comb that already had queen cups? If queens were present but not functioning, the workers may have made queen cups to replace her perhaps?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A month passed since you hived the swarms? Multiple swarms will involve virgin queens. That can take a week or two for the newly mated queen to begin laying, but one would think they would be laying at this time. Early April, in NC, I assume you had numerous drones available? Did weather turn bad right after you hived the swarms, which might have caused the queens to fail to mate or be killed? Just making some guesses here, no real solutions. Definitely add a frame or two with eggs and you should get a queen, though. Add some nurse bees since all your workers are now getting older. As for the queen cups, this was freshly drawn comb or old comb that already had queen cups? If queens were present but not functioning, the workers may have made queen cups to replace her perhaps?
Any of those could be viable, hawk; no telling. Some foundation was older (I'd put in the bait boxes) and others, fresh-made. Speaking of weather: there've been some days when it got pretty cold out, and/or rained or was super-windy. Jus' no tellin' ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts