Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if its just me or if i actually have a little bit meaner bees...

when ever i watch these videos on youtube, or go into my friends hives with them, these other bees are always docile and dont seem like they want to hurt you when you get inside their hive.. My bees are Carolinians from a package bee producer in northern california. They are always heavy tempered, i try to work them slow and gentle, but they still just crazy! they sting me atleast 15 times everytime i work them, and literally cover my veil in a wall of bees, even if its only a 5 minute inspection. They are on alfalfa and i heard somewhere that alfalfa can make them "hot". The only reason i keep them is becuase they produce lots of honey, and they overwinter well. Is this just me being new or is this hive "hot":lookout:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ooooh, I really want to come see your bees then! Are you working them already?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the same question as scorpionmain. Do you use smoke?

Also, how's the weather? How often are you in the hives? Is there an animal bothering them at night?

Lots of things can make docile bees chew your face when you check on them.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Looks like you got the meanest bees around. Wouldn't it bee better if you could have both? Say docile and big honey
producer at the same time. I'm glad that my bees are still gentle to me. Maybe they are too busy collecting pollen and nectar today to just ignore me. It is well worth it to have the gentlest bees around even though they don't produce much honey. It all depends on the forage around.

·
Registered
276 Posts
if they are out of California you could potentially have some Africanized traits. one of the benefits of Africanized is they make honey like nobody's business but I would not want to keep such a hot hive and I would consider requeening

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you wear a suit with gloves and a hood, how do you get stung?
When you pop the lid, try spraying sugar water over the top of the frames as the bees come up. They don't fly well when their wings are wet.
If that doesn't work try covering the top of the hive with a plastic sheet that is just larger the the box. Put weights on two opposite ends and let them hang over the sides. Move it just enough to get a frame out and then cover the box back up.
Just because they are aggressive does not mean they are African. We have had agressive bees since Langstogh wrote about them in 1850.
See <http://www.beesource.com/point-of-view/andy-nachbaur/bees-with-an-attitude/>

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My bees are Carolinians from a package bee producer in northern california. They are always heavy tempered, i try to work them slow and gentle, but they still just crazy! they sting me atleast 15 times everytime i work them, and literally cover my veil in a wall of bees, even if its only a 5 minute inspection. T
The Carniolans I had were some of the calmest, gentlest bees I have been around. Maybe they requeened themselves or maybe they are not pure Carniolan bees.

Shane

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Life is too short to put up with bees that defensive. I have two in mind that will be broken down into nucs in May. Both good producers, but I just like to calmly work unprotected when I can. Lots of good productive queens that have daughters with no attitude.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do use smoke, I only wear a veil.. No gloves or javket(it's too hot), I go in about every 10-12 days.. They are not disturbed by animals to my knowing, and no I'm just giving them some feed right now( not really going into the hive as it's still way to cold)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lucky for me is that this one hive is in the middle of alfalfa fields so I don't really have to worry about other people getting stung

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
dup

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Yes, but you have to worry when they sting you on a hive inspection.
If you don't take care of this issue now this hive will keep on growing and throwing off its aggressive
daughters when they swarm into the nearby trees (asm.) Not fun dealing with big aggressive colony,
It is not fun to put aggressive trait into the open for your non aggressive daughters if you do your
own queen rearing locally. Have you seen the experimental aggressive Africanized bees got escaped into
the jungle and spread thru out. Do a you tube search on aggressive bees and you will see that it takes
lots of hive boxes to split them. And the poor beekeeper has to come back in another day to finish the job.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have carniolans too and they have major attitude so I am starting to see each hive is unique.... My second hive is major producers and no where as near as aggressive....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ended up with some pretty hot hives from a northern Cali. package dealer last year. I hope i'm around to watch the final grading in the almonds. They won't have to count frames as the whole top box will be in there face as soon as they crack the lid. P.S. The broker has been worned and the boxes are marked.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
My life was too good with teddy bear carniolans so I went Italian and I have a couple Mama Mia's. I am ending them in May! Good frames of brood for nucs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts