Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an incident of a hive being mean this past inspection. I attributed it to no eggs being found, failed Queen, weather overcast. A 90 year old beekeeper at the market said it was cause I have them out in the open. They have no cover around them what so ever. I keep the grass mowed down. Any comments anyone?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
no cover meaning like shade, or as you stated you mow, high grass? My beeyards are in full sunlight, on pallets, mowed/roundup'd, no cover at all. The problem is most likely what you already found, QUEENLESS, not a lack of cover. Weather was most likely a contributing factor also.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Willrich, your analysis sounds correct. The problem then is, getting them a queen.

Regarding hives being in full sun, used to be that was a no-no. Now however, with the small hive beetle, hives do much better in full sun. I run a screened bottom board and full open entrance to help in cooling. In some really hot locales, they put slats on the top of the hive anchored down, extending over the front of the hive to provide some shade. Some folks provide a top entrance, others stagger the supers a little bit.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
233 Posts
you find out that the hives in the full sun will have alot less small hive bettles. i wouldnt put them in the shade you are just asking for trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts