Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Well, looked at the Runner's World exercises, but IMO, I alreay do enough lifting, or should I say, too much lifting.
Lifting "when needed" is not the same as systematic and consistent conditioning...
Just to clarify.

You condition yourself year around, no matter the season and not matter what you do for living (bee lifting or apple picking or keyboard tapping).
This way you are in a good condition either for snow shoveling season or for beekeeping lifting season (or for potato digging, for that matter).

Anyhow, yep, that is the persistent opinion - we already do enough lifting (seasonally, that is). :)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
My2cents:

Hard physical work isn't for everyone, lets face it.
Some even fear or despise it and will do everything in their power to avoid it.
Odd how many in this camp have no problem with hard play like distance running, cycling with the club for 50 miles on Saturday mornings or 4-5 days a week at the gym or hours live-streaming Peloton, examples are endless.

Others have a healthy respect for the demands of the work, like it, use the head on their shoulders and go do it. For some the work is even used as exercise!
If it becomes too much down the road methods are altered or equipment changed out or brought in. Some get help, Some pack it in.

Plenty to do in the "off season" to keep fit, you've just got to make it so.

Life. Go Live it.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,261 Posts
Which applies to most every one at most any situation.
Like moving bee boxes is a great chance find out if one was dong things poorly for years.
:)
I am at that inbetween age 10 years ago it was easy and 10 years from now I will be the 80ish year old beekeeper.

I have to agree with jwcarlson, have the attitude of not getting hurt and be careful. Now I tend to :
pace my self go slow no hurrying
carry smaller loads am transitioning to 8 frame
wear the correct shoes, cloths
not pull honey in bad weather
use a stool if needed with 8F you do at times need to reach up a bit.
try to stay in shape

any activity has risk, 40,000 people died last year from traffic deaths, I do not drive 10 MPH with a helmet on, nor do most people I know. I do drive carefully and not hurried however.

I hope to keep for a few more years 10-15, have 45 in now. I guess the day comes when I cannot, continue , either I get help or hang up my veil. I would like to think I can find a young strong mentee but who knows perhaps it is not meant to be.

I have a couple long hives, setting them up was a 2 or 3 man job, now they are not bad so Greg, has a point the way to keep can offer some body saving tactics, however, some have the structure or technique to go it with 10F gear. get it done any way you feel works for you and be open to the "for you" part changing. I actually like the long hive and the 8F shift, so the push for me was great. the 8s winter better and are lighter. the long hive is a power spring splitting resource, I can make 5-7 5 frame splits, when the QCs eventually show up (double deep lang frame box with 3.5 inch stud insulated walls) yea it is coffin. But the shift and try of different ways has been very positive, so lean into it rather than resist.

GG

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I actually like the long hive and the 8F shift,
Exact my philosophy here - I either like it long OR vertical and light.
And so working on doing the both systems due to the complementing strengths and weaknesses of both (as long as they are compatible and easy to work).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts